• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Common problem with Polls

Remeber, the polls predicted Dewey

• Too many

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Most could be answered with Search function

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Who cares what strangers think

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • The colored bars area a little "girly"

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Waste of bandwith

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
dont shoot its me:

I guess we will see how long this thread stays open. My last anti-poll thread got closed down in about 12 hrs.

I don't mind a well thought out, original poll. But, this last burst by the same individual is a waste of bandwidth, is irritating, and could have been asked in just one post. :barf: Need some rules on this sort of thing. While the search function does not always answer the question asked, it is obvious many do not even attempt it. A search usually answers most inquiries.

I guess we will see how long this thread stays open. My last anti-poll thread got closed down in about 12 hrs.

That is because this is the "Handguns: The Semiauto Forum", and not the "Polls: Let's Discuss 'Em" forum.

For that, may I direct you down the hall to a lovely forum called "Suggestions, Questions and Feedback" or somesuch. ;)

so why not just move it instead of close it?
Truthfully, the option just occurred to me. :o

Also, though, it's important to keep a thread of that (this?) nature focussed on one's opinion of the usefulness or over-used-ness of the "poll" feature, and not a slamfest on those posting the polls or those who don't like 'em.

I apologize for causing you inconvenience but felt that opening a poll for each manufacturer was the best way to see if there is a trend in quality and satisfaction for these makes of guns.

I have used the search function and found it to be less than effective. A “best Kimber” search in (title only) resulted in 489 threads. “Glock quality” in (title only) resulted in zero and under (entire post) resulted in 873 threads. The search function is a good tool but it is not the answer to everything.

My 14 “clogging” polls produced 315 total votes and were viewed 2294 times in less than twenty-four hours. Perhaps they are clogging the system because so many people are viewing them. Some 2200+ people thought it was worth the time.

9/11: regarding the "Search Function"

Try using the keywords "Range Report" after the make/model of the gun you are interested in.

Another good series of threads were the "Everything crappy about..." threads started by Greg Bell. There were ones that covered Glocks, SIG's, HK's, etc...

Perhaps if you had trickled the polls into the forum one or two per day, rather than a tidal wave of 14 identical threads thapushed several ongoing discussions to page 2, folks wouldn't have gotten so worked into a lather about it... Just some random suggestions. :)

None of the above . . .

The options selected by the poll's originator are frequently not inclusive. This causes me a real problem, because the results are -- by definition -- less-than-valid. To illustrate, I suspect that in almost any randomly elected poll, any of us could add a few entirely valid alternatives to the initial listing.

I wish TFL members would exercise greater care in constructing polls -- particularly to ensure all potential options are incorporated. Doing this would make the polling feature more constructive.

Back