Commercially available "bound book" software?

If just data input, Excel would work....

Or building a simple input form on an Access Db. I think Open Office has Db in it too... To get started for free.

Or building a simple input form on an Access Db. I think Open Office has Db in it too... To get started for free.
Yep. You'd have to set it up yourself, but Open Office "Base" is a free database program.

^^ Thanks!
I figured someone had to have done it. I'll check that one out, as well as the others that he has linked on his site.
Being able to include photos as well as a lot of other pertinent information along with the minimum required by BATF would be invaluable in the event of a theft.

Be careful

If you are going to create your own system, or rely on someone else's for that matter, be sure to read the fine print in the ATF ruling cited above ...

The system must retain any correction of errors as an entirely new entry, without deleting or modifying the original entry (e.g., macro created to track changes). Alternatively, the system may allow for entries in a “notes” column to explain any correction and/or track changes (i.e., what was changed, who made the change, why the change was needed). ATF suggests that the recordkeeping system be capable of blocking fields from correction (e.g., protect workbook function).​

and ...

The system must back-up the firearms acquisition and disposition records on a daily basis to protect the data from accidental deletion or system failure.​

and, finally ...

All laws, regulations, policies, and procedures applicable to the paper form of the firearms acquisition and disposition records also apply to electronic versions. Licensees are not required to use an electronic acquisition and disposition record, and may continue to use a paper record in the format prescribed by regulation. Licensees are reminded of their responsibility to ensure accuracy and completeness of all of their required records.​

Also, to be clear, MyGunDB is not a CMP application. It is affiliated with the CMP in that portions of the proceeds go to support the CMP. NM Collector Software has the same affiliation with the CMP. Here is a link to the "CMP apps" page: http://thecmp.org/communications/app/

Last edited:
nmcollector,

It looks to me that if one had all the fields in text boxes, on a form, and those then saved to a database, when they all were completed, then that would get you around the editing when filling out a form, since it was never added to the database yet as an entry. After saving, if something was wrong, you would have to fill out another, with stating the reason why, but by doing it this way, it would be easy enough to make any corrections before saving the form as an entry the first time. If not, it would make a huge database of nothing but mis-typed words, or clerical errors, while filling out every form. To me, an entry is the entire form being saved to file.

Yeah...I had read all of that.

This was key to me:

Alternatively, the system may allow for entries in a “notes” column to explain any correction and/or track changes (i.e., what was changed, who made the change, why the change was needed). ATF suggests that the recordkeeping system be capable of blocking fields from correction (e.g., protect workbook function).

When I had read the first part of that section, it was almost a deal-breaker. Having a program that would not permit modifications is different than the alternative listed above. I'm not familiar with the "protect workbook function" referred to specifically, but no matter. Seems to me that BATF just wants an "audit trail" maintained, and as long as that requirement is met it should be in compliance.

This is obviously a concern only for 01's, 02', 07's, etc. that deal in forms and transfers routinely.

Guess so, but so far as an 03 only I haven't had need to change a thing for a few dozen entries. Hopefully that will change soon with an 07 :). I'm sure guys that do a lot more buying, and horse-trading of collectibles than I would be a different story.

Back