Commercial vehicles and gun laws

Do you think that a DOT driver should be allowed to carry?

• Yes

Votes: 25 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sanzo87

i really dont think its right that you can not carry a gun in a dot ceritfied vehicle or any commercial vehicle. what are your thoughts on the subject?

This is a myth. There is no federal law or DOT regulation stopping a truck driver from having a gun in the truck.

Many trucking companies have policies which forbid it, but is is NOT a law or a regulation.

This is a myth. There is no federal law or DOT regulation stopping a truck driver from having a gun in the truck.

Many trucking companies have policies which forbid it, but is is NOT a law or a regulation.

This is true...my father was a truck driver for years and carried while on the road (his company didn't care). The only problem is when you get into certain states that your CC permit is not good in.

Well, I have always been told it is not legal and you are not allowed, and that it's not a company thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certian states have laws against transporting firearms without proper paper work or unless locked up in approved cases and ammo in different location.

believe none of what you hear and even less of what you read

"Well, I have always been told it is not legal and you are not allowed, and that it's not a company thing." sanzo87

So who told you this fable? And what makes them knowledgeable on the issue? Surely it not the first time someone told you something that was proven incorrect at a latter time.

I would expect the issue of firearms in DOT registered vehicles would at least have a paragraph in the CDL licensing manuals. I've never read any such statements. That does not provide definitive proof of the regs but it certainly says they do not cover the issue in basic CDL testing.

I'll point out a great example: here on this board you constantly see posting over shipping a handgun using the USPS. It pretty clear that a person can not mail any handgun using the USPS. There are a limited number of exceptions for C&R transactions. No matter how many times the issue comes up someone will always claim everyone is wrong that you can mail a pistol with no reservations on to whom or what type of pistol.

sanzo87 said:
Well, I have always been told it is not legal and you are not allowed, and that it's not a company thing.

Well, you've always been told wrong. According to the Department of Transportation, carrying firearms in commercial vehicles is strictly a state or local matter. Here is a link to a letter from DOT stating that fact.

DOT Letter

Back