comments on taurus pt92

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the little experience ive had i think the taurus is ok if you are on a tight budget. the taurus is a copy of the beretta 92 made of cheaper metal. and you can tell just by looking at and shooting it. if you can, go with the beretta. if not, the taurus is not a bad choice. Everyone i know that has one seems to like it ok. The real question is "Do you like it ?" If so go with it.

------------------
TIM : )

I've shot extensively with a PT-99AF with a variety of FMJ and JHP ammo.

It's certainly a big heavy weapon, but still available with 15 round factory mags when bought new. I experienced about 3 failures to extract in about 800 rounds and about 3 stovepipes (that were probably my fault), the extractor plainly needed tuning (it was a borrowed gun). For fun I put bowling pins about 5 feet apart on top of the target racks on our outdoor 125 yard rifle range and was amazed to be able to take 2 down per 15 round clip, I have not been able to replicate that kind of performance with any other gun. For a laugh I tried the same trick with a Rossi .38 Spl snubbie and couldn't hit the racks themselves with more than 2 out of 5 rounds, BTW the racks are are 40 feet wide and 4 feet high......

Shooting standard pressure 9mm through this gun was a positive pleasure, no flinch, no blink, near zero recoil and muzzle flip and noticably quieter to shoot than the Rossi a side benefit of a 5 inch bbl. As a carry gun it's a non-starter, but as a range gun and for home defence it's a peach, I found the extra weight very confidence inspiring and it moved me away from lite guns, the accuracy potential makes the adjustable sights on the PT-99 worthwhile, this gun was in blue and although more practical, the stainless PT-92 I saw in a gun store just looked like one of those joke movie guns where the blued looks, well, purposeful. Just my $0.02, hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Mike H

thanks for the input i was thinking of trading in my kel-tec p-11. i have a h&k usp and glock for carry, but just wanted to up grade my kel-tec. jf

Greetings all. I have one Taurus PT92 and it's an older, pre-decocking model. In short, I paid around $200 for the gun and it's always proven reliable, more accurate than expected, and it fixed sights, though a little smaller than I like, are well-regulated from the factory. Despite my having more expensive handguns, this one is a keeper and one that I used for a home defense gun for years. Best.

Fleming,
For what it is worth I have been familar with the PT-92 since 1982 when I was in South America. I liked those down there so well that when I got back stateside my next firearms purchase was a very early PT-92 with the European style magazine release. Since then I have had two PT-99s and after shooting a variety of ammuniiton types through all three I am completely satisfied. Some refer to them as a "copy" of the Beretta but I prefer to view them as an improvement, mainly due to the "cocked and locked" option with ambidextruous safeties. The adjustable sight on the PT-99 is not as good as it should be, and that is my major complaint on the series. I would also like to add Taurus' lifetime warranty as a real plus. All manufacturers have bad specimens that make it out of the factory but Taurus really backs their products. From personal observation Taurus has a much better repair policy and record than Beretta or most anyone else, for that matter. Hope this helps.

Take care and God bless,
Paladin

traded in my 2 1/2 year old kel-tec p-11 and $225 for the pt 92 af (don't know what the af means yet). the sticker was $399.99. so, i got $175 for my kel-tec, not bad i think, only paid $225 for it new. will shoot taurus tomarrow. thanks, jf

------------------
JOIN THE NRA

[This message has been edited by jfleming (edited November 15, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back