Comments on Smith/Wesson 22A ?

I have had one for about 1 year now and love it very accurate. I put a red dot scope on it. In the begining I had a few jams after about 5o rounds not one. every round fires and feeds great. I use winchester wildcats. I have a pic of my 22a on my web site if you want to see it link below. Good Luck :D

I had one for about a year and regret selling it now. The bolt and frame are a light alloy which is prone to wear and scratching, but with care it will last. Mine was very accurate and tons of fun to shoot. It's also easier to clean and maintain than the Rugers imho. One thing that can frustrate you with almost any .22 target is getting bad ammo. When you get the big box of loose ammo at Walmart or K-mart, you will find 5-10 no fires per box. Sometimes you can run them through again or fire them out of a revolver but usually they are just duds. Still the 22A is a great little gun and one I'd recommend wholeheartedly for the price.

Had a 4 inch in blue until October of this year. Cost me $179 and was worth every penny. Felt like a mid size high caliber pistol in the hand, and shot like the peach it was. I'll second the comment on dud .22's though, suffered about one in fifty in spite of the 22A having a very hard pin strike.

The stainless barrelled versions look really good but only start with a 5.5 inch barrel and I wanted something shorter. Much preferred it to the Ruger Mk.II.

Letting rip with 11 rounds fired in one string with almost zero muzzle flip was a blast and the ammo is so cheap you never even notice buying the stuff. I used copper plated high velocity hollowpoints for practice (at $1.10 per 50)and felt like a millionaire ;)

Mike H

I own one as well, they are cheaply made, but shoot like a house on fire! I can easily shoot 1 inch groups with mine at 50 feet, more accurate than my Ruger, and a lot easier to take apart. For the $179 I paid for mine, it's a keeper.

Commentson Smith/Wesson 22A

Inexpensive. Easy to take down and clean. Ergonomically acceptable. Not a bad little pistol for the price. Darn sight cheaper than the 41.

I picked up a used one and put a BSA red dot sight on it. I bought it primarily because it had a rail already there on which I could mount this sight I had. This gun showed a good bit of wear on the finish around the sides of the muzzle end of the barrel, the sides of the barrel at the breech, and the breech face where the slide hits it. Despite all this, after a very quick zeroing of the sight, I proceeded to chew the x-ring out at 25 yards. I haven't put a lot of rounds through it, but it shows every indication of being a 'keeper.' It's fun to shoot and accurate, fits my hand well, and feels balanced, even with the sight on it.

-10CFR

Back