Commemorative Dragoons

Fingers McGee

Just bought The American Historical Foundation commemorative Union and Confederate Dragoons. These were 2nd Gen Colt 2nd and 3rd Model Dragoons that were obtained by the AHF around 1988 and engrave & plated. The gold plated 3rd model Dragoon is the Union Commemorative and the silver plated 2nd model Dragoon is the Confederate Commemorative. Each is 1 of 125 made.

AHS%20Dragoons_zpsjazpn5p7.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful! I really like the silver plated one, my Great-Grandfather was a Confederate Cavalryman but I'll bet he didn't have anything like that!

My GG Grandfather was in K Co, 3rd Texas Cavalry & started the war carrying a pair of single shot pistols & a sawed off shotgun. Along the way he picked up a couple Rigdons and a Henry rifle.

Last edited:
Mine was in Capt. Beckett's Cavalry Co C of the 36th Virginia Infantry, he likely carried a sawed-off shotgun as did many Confederate cavalry.

Bishop Creek - shotguns for infantry? Perhaps in 1861 and I can see shotguns being carried by cavalry; but once they're dismounted methinks they would be issued regular minie rifles. The dismounting of cavalry was not unknown in the Confederacy. Horseflesh got scarce.

Gary, my g-grandfather was in the cavalry, and he did join in 1861 and though I have extensive records on him. both handed down in the family (including his capture by Yanks in 1863) and from the National Archives, I really have no idea what type of weapon he carried, just was guessing on the shotgun as that was common in 1861 for Confederate cavalry.

Not that I could ever have the boss approve the budget for something like that, but where does one find shiny things like that?

Also, are the wedges blued, or something slicker to avoid scratching?

Not that I could ever have the boss approve the budget for something like that, but where does one find shiny things like that?

Also, are the wedges blued, or something slicker to avoid scratching?

Gun Broker, Gun Auction.com, Rock Island Auctions, various BP forums, and unsolicited offers are where I get them

Wedges, triggers, nipples and screws are blued.

Back