Commbloc Spam can

lordhedgwich

I just popped open a spam can of 7.62x54r and the last 7 box appear to have gotten wet or something at the bottom and have some rust around the primers :mad: Are they still good to shoot?

they may or may not go off. take some steel wool and see whether it's deep rust or just some surface rust. surface rust shouldn't be a problem, it's only going to be fired once anyway. deep rust could mean split casings and would be very bad.

the lacquered steel cases can rust from the inside out, as well, if it's old enough.

Give the cases a little cleanup and see what it looks like.

Don't be afraid to scrap it if it's deep rust. Just pull the bullets and reload them or pass them along.

At 15 cents a round, there's no point in risking a rifle, hand, or eye to bad ammo.

deep rust on the lower 1/2 would need to be concerned. Near the neck is not as critical, many of them split the neck anyway!

Hangfire

Had a few of these that were obviously wet some time ago. Some fired but most did not. After a misfire I waited about 30 seconds before ejecting from a Mosin Nagant. So far so good and then: a delayed hangfire happened 3 to 5 seconds after I began my 30 second count. Not too much of a surprise but not a pleasant experience.

Did not like this feature of wet Commie ammo so I pulled the bullets and threw away the cases and powder. Some powder was dry but most looked like a granular paste.

deep rust on the lower 1/2 would need to be concerned. Near the neck is not as critical, many of them split the neck anyway!
I have never seen a split neck on 54R. I have run across this with chinese x25 but never with 54R.

kilimanjaro quoted: "At 15 cents a round, there's no point in risking a rifle, hand, or eye to bad ammo."

That's the best advice!

I had some of these with no rust, but a powdery substance on them that split at the neck while firing. It only happened to about 4 of them and the next batch shot without a hiccup.

Back