Commander offer

ks_wayward_son

Been looking for a commander for a while. A guy offered to sell me a NIB unfired Kimber Pro TLE 2 45 ACP for 800.00. Looked @ Gunbroker for prices and they are 1000 +. Never really entertained the thought of a Kimber since they were usually out of my price range, and more on the lines of something I wouldn't normally get. Should I roll with this deal? Thanks.

Sounds good to me. I have, and carry, the Stainless Pro Carry 2 and love it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Find out the date of manufacture and which production facility it was made at.
In my opinion, the Kimber name has been tarnished a great deal. $800 is approaching a new Springfield or even a Colt (if you save a few more months).

How old is it and why has it not been fired? Like 'em, love 'em, or hate 'em, Kimbers are generally not thought of as collectors' items. I could understand perhaps buying a Colt and putting it away unfired, but ... a Kimber?

It hasn't been fired because the guy decided to go a different route for concealed. I would definitely fire this gun and not just take up space. I'm trying to find out production year. Honestly, I sort of consider myself more of a Ruger or Springfield guy, but if this is a good deal it might be alright. Keep you guys posted and keep your opinions rolling. :D

As a rule the TLE II has the Scwartz safety and manufacture date means nothing when looking at a II designation.The TLE is probably Kimbers best deal with Night Sights and front strap checkering.
I also think the TLE is a steel frame and not alloy.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pro-tle-ii

Some notes after researching/considering/studying this model. I just never got around to buying one. Some other guns or ammo always seemed to get bought instead.

The "Pro" name/designation is Kimber's way of indicating it's a 4" barrel with full-size grip. It's not really a "Commander" type as "Commander" usually indicates having a barrel bushing while Kimber uses a bull-barrel (no bushing). Holsters, however, are generally the same for a Kimber Pro and a Colt Commander.

Unless things have changed without notice, Kimber used to recommend an 800-round recommended recoil spring change interval for its "Pro" models. Wolff springs had a specific spring made just for the Kimber Pro models which was a go-to replacement spring (#32725). I read somewhere some folks did say the spring made the slide a bit harder to manually cycle.
https://www.gunsprings.com/KIMBER/Compact & Pro Carry/cID1/mID32/dID413

Later, Wilson-Combat also came out with its flat-wire recoil spring kit. I've no opinion on this kit and haven't spoken with anyone who's tried it:
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-W...-45-ACP-Chrome-Silicon-22-Lb/productinfo/651/

A Kimber Pro TLE II does have a Swartz grip-safety-activated firing pin safety system. For some people, this is just a no-go.

There are a few more parts during a detail strip, making it a bit more difficult to reassemble. Some folks complained of safety mis-timing where the trigger can be pulled before the safety is completely out of the way. There are a few fixes or tuning methods to cure this, if necessary.

Mainly, it's mandatory to not depress the grip safety when reinstalling the slide to frame during a regular field strip, to avoid damaging the firing pin safety's "push-rod"; not a big deal, but something some people just don't like.

I've Kimber 1911s to be good production-level guns. $800 is easily $2k to $3k less than the high-end 4.25" 1911s on the market from makers like Wilson-Combat, Nighthawk Custom, Guncrafter Industries, etc.

Note: I don't or haven't owned a 4" Kimber Pro model, but would consider it. Let us know if you buy the subject gun; post some pictures; & give us a review if you get it.

Last edited:
It is a nice looking piece and I am seriously considering purchasing it. For 800.00 BNIB I bet I could get most of my $$ back if I found fault with it.

I've owned a number of Kimbers and have had nothing but good luck with them. I think they are some of the best values in a 1911. If I was shopping for a 1911 today, I would start by looking at Kimbers.

Don't buy it unless you can check it out in person first. It may be unfired NIB because the dude spotted something very wrong with it.

ks_wayward_son: said:
I sort of consider myself more of a Ruger or Springfield guy,

I have a Ruger SR1911 Commander length that I spent a heck of a lot less than $800 for. But I’m not really a 1911 Commander length guy, I much prefer my Gov’t length 1911 guns. But that Ruger is a very decent shooter.

I have my Kimber Pro Carry II and it has been a solid gun. If I were in your shoes I would think about it, its an ok deal but to me its not s steal. If you need to save a little more to get what you really want then that's what I would do, if you really like the Kimber then give it a shot.

It is a nice looking piece and I am seriously considering purchasing it. For 800.00 BNIB I bet I could get most of my $$ back if I found fault with it.
Bingo! Anyhow - despite the fact that I own two Kimbers & one of them is a sometimes carry gun - I don't really care for them over other 1911s.

HOWEVER - having said that.....they sure do shoot like a dream! Kimber accuracy is not a myth.

I'd be tempted at that price.

I only one Kimber, a Camp Guard, a beatiful gun, would not run at all right out of the box.
Kimber fixed it, quickly, without issue and it's a tack driver.

Well KS_Wayward_Son? Did you buy the Kimber? I have 1911 (Colt, Ruger, Springfield Armory, Remington, Magnum Research and Taurus and Kimber) or 1911-style (Sig P938, Sig P238 and Sprinfield Armory EMP) pistols and I honestly don't know what the internet fuss is about Kimbers. I'm living proof that owning them doesn't make someone an expert, but my experience has been that the little Kimber Ultra Carry II has been every bit as reliable and accurate as any other 1911 I own. If you really are a Ruger fan, why not buy a new Ruger SR1911? (if you can find one right now!) I just paid $750 for a new Ruger SR1911 9mm from Buds. It's a great gun but is it better than the Kimber? Not to me.

To get back in touch, nope didn't buy the Kimber. I think I am pretty much set on the Ruger 6702 (all steel commander). Just holding for a good deal (less than 700 used would be good). I had a chance to buy off GB...someone had one for sell for 575 and should have jumped on it. Ohhhh well, its not a necessity just another want.

ks_wayward_son: said:
I think I am pretty much set on the Ruger 6702 (all steel commander).

I think it’s a great gun if you can get a nice one at a good price, like mine. Don’t be put off by the cardboard box & the cheesy gunrug that comes with it, the SR1911 Cmdr. Itself is a very nice pistol!

Back