Comfortable IWB Holster ??

Sarge55

Want to pick up a leather IWB holster for my recently acquired Kimber Compact, and was hoping you folks could give me a few ideas. There's so many excellent manufacturers out there, it boggles the mind! Which are the most comfortable? Will be wearing the gun for 8+ hours a day. Any experiences, pro or con, would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!

Sarge

I carry my Compact in a Galco Royal Guard. It is a decent holster. This is horsehide with the rough side out. I wish the belt loops were offset from the holster itself so it had a more narrow profile. I belt the Galco off the rack so I would have something to carry the gun in while I waited for a custom holster. But, I never got around to ordering the custom (yet).

Someday I am going to own a Milt Sparks VersaMax II. Every post I see raves about them. I rave about the compact. It deserves to ride in a holster I rave about.

Randy

Last edited:
LOVE MY SPARKS

But I carry my (full-size) 1911 in a horsehide Galco Royal Guard.

Got a special deal on it, or I would have DEFINITELY ordered another Sparks (compete from 1AT's).

I used to use a Galco Royal Guard until it "sweated" through. (what can I say, I sweat like a pig :) ) The holster would get wet and never dry out in the summer, the old Colt never had a chance, started to rust pretty quick. I read somewhere that "rough out" leather transfers moisture right away, I even tried putting duct tape on the back to stop it, no luck. I now use a Blade Tech IWB. its the only way to go, gun is always dry. The holster is tension adjustable and has a guard up the entire back which saves on clothes too. Only down side is minor wear on the slide from drawing the gun. I can deal with that, carry guns show wear over time anyways, its the rust that I cant deal with.

Ok, for real comfort, like wearing no holster at all, try the Sparks Watch 6. I have one and it was the first IWB holster I could wear that did not feel as if I had the pistol in the box it came with. Then i got one of Lou Alessi's CQC/I holsters. I really like that holster and the Watch 6 is relegated to a back up holster role.

I've gotta agree with Jim V
Then i got one of Lou Alessi's CQC/I holsters

I had started with a Fist #21 (didn't feel right and was drifting my rear sight another story), then finally my Rosen ARG-Slim arrived (thought it was great until I noticed a real pain developing in my right cheek). So I ordered a CQC/I from Lou and he even split the snap loops for me - makes on and off easier for me. I have been wearing it for the last 6 (?) months daily 10 hours plus. I have stopped looking for another (well mostly, we never really stop looking do we? :D )

CQC/I pic -
20021156081404563668869.jpg

-- Chuck

If you want a holter that rides deep in the pants, go with the Alessi CQC-I. If you want a higher ride holster, try the Sparks Summer Special. Can't go wrong either way.

Regards,
Frank

Gotta throw in my vote for Lou's Watch Six Dual Talon.
It's Milt Sparks' Watch Six, with a slightly more relieved cut (aesthetics) and Lou's patented "Talon" clips.
They clip to the pant rather than the belt, so the belt covers the clips.
It's got an unreiforced mouth, so it's super slim, which is always a good thing.

I've heard so many good things about the Versa Max II, that I'd probably buy it sight-unseen as well.
Some one said the VM had really tight clips, and was hard to adjust once it was on (a good thing in it's way.)

I carry my Kahr K-40 in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II and I love it. It's extremely comfortable and doesn't let the gun move around at all.

One of the nice things about it is that it comes with interchangeable belt loops and clips.

The belt loops let you put the holster on or take it off easily when you're not worried about the grip being seen above your belt.

The clips are hidden behind your belt and allow you to tuck your shirt in over the gun. I've even been able to conceal it under a loose tucked-in T-shirt. The clips WON'T slide around! In fact I can't even place/remove the holster without taking my pants off first. (Besides, it's much more fun that way!) :D

The only complaint I have (had) about Milt Sparks was the three month wait to have the thing made! Although I think they keep a few models "on hand" for a couple (literally, like 2) real common guns. But when I got it, I wasn't disappointed.

Tom

ANTICIPATION

I love ordering a Sparks holster and then waiting months for it to arrive........and then it's here and I'm so happy and it was worth the wait.......my 1AT for my Witness is six or seven years old, been in every kind of weather, stuffed in gear bags or banged around whilst worn, over 15,000 presentations, still perfect.

"Buy best buy once"

Thank you folks at MiltSparksHolsters, INC. (how else could I compete with my Redhawks?)

Another vote for the Sparks Versa Max II. I carry my Kimber Pro Carry in one at 3 O'clock and it's very comfortable. Get yourself a good gunbelt to go with it.

Allan Yoast has Milt Sparks holsters in stock. A4t5fan@aol.com

Back