colt's purchase of H&K

Longjohn

Yes Gentlemen, it is true,colt has purchased H&K for about 100 million. Colt also has said that they intend to stop the sale of H&K guns here in the U.S. Colt also seems to have changed position again on selling Colt's own guns, only to law enforcement and the military, leaving American citizens out of the market. You can find offical info in print about this in Reuter's Business. The site address is http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/19991229/bs/arms_britain_1.html

Here we go again with companies merging and buying each other up, and us trying to figure out what it might mean for particular products, like H&K handguns, that seemed rock solid only a minute ago. I was just now searching for ballistics info on CCI ammunition, which got me to something called Blount International. Blount, which I never heard of, has several divisions, including an Outdoor Sports Group, which includes: Federal Cartridge Co., Speer/CCI, RCBS, Outers, Weaver, Ramline, Simmons, and Champion Target. And here I thought Federal and Speer/CCI were competitors, ditto Weaver and Simmons. Silly me. You begin to wonder how many independent companies with a real commitment to their products are left out there. Meanwhile, I guess the best advice is to forget about brand loyalty -- it'll only break your heart.

Sorry, I did not read any statement from Colt in there that said they intended to sell only to the police. In fact, the only statements Colt has made indicate that they do NOT intend to restrict their sales to the police and military. I have also heard no statement from Colt that they would cease selling HK handguns to civilians in the US...all I have read is supposition by an anti-gun media eager to give this news the most anti-gun slant they can. I think I will wait and see.

RikWriter, perhaps the following quote from the article doesn't come from Colt, but the ominous sounds are there:

"As media reported it ready to quit the retail market, the company said it would not quit ``the total handgun portion of its business'' -- phrasing that left open the possibility it would make handguns only for non-consumers, such as police.

The Wall Street Journal said Colt's planned to phase out much or all of Heckler & Koch's U.S. pistol sales."

Well, I'm not waiting. I found a NIB H&K USP9 with two 15-round mags for $550 today from a local shop here in Charlotte. Bought it! (Didn't mention the prospective sale to Colt until after I owned the gun. ;) They hadn't heard the news yet.)

Don't know whether to keep it NIB, becoming a speculator, or just shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it...

Nah, no question. Guns are for fun! Let Colt make money.

Cheers,
Roon

[This message has been edited by Joseph (edited December 30, 1999).]

Rikwriter, haven't you heard? The national media is the definative source for accurate, unbiased, news reports. They can be believed. Personally, I agree with you. I question everything I read in a newspaper or see on a TV news cast, I believe when they referred to the semiautomatic revolver I became scepticle(sp?).

Jeff - must be a Webley-Fosbery or a Mateba.

These are very common as you know :)

But I have heard of 40 mm Glock Revolvers.

I want one of those.

Colt's been left by the wayside in the development area. HK has been developing new and better products for the military leaving Colt behind.I think Colt is only trying to survive when the big military orders start flowing to the more advanced arms manufacturers. I expect that the foreign owned gun makers will soon move out of the USA when they stop selling to the civilian market.Only those that are selling large orders to the US military will remain.Just look at the current US sidearm and the outfit that now has the contract.Look at the Japanese car makers that now make cars here because of our market.Even BMW got into the act."The time is at hand to draw the line in the sand".

OK, easy now, the article said Colt signed a letter of intent to buy. But nothing so far has been mentioned as to whether or not H&K will accept.

When I mentioned this to the owner of one of the police supply shops in the area, he guffawed and said, "Colt can't hardly afford their own [expletive deleted]...I don't think it's gonna happen."

jth

Back