Colt's cobra the new Bigfoot?

I've seen tons of posts online where people have found them. I still haven't seen one in person. I'll buy the first one I can find assuming no major defects.

There's a couple on gunbroker for under $800. The cheapest I saw just now was $725 plus shipping, plus FFL fees. Of course the shipping and FFL fees are probably a wash once you factor in sales tax on a purchase at a local shop.

The Pony Boys (Colt collectors) are nabbing them as fast as they can. I'd just wait it out until availability increases and prices drop.

There is one sitting all by its lonesome at my LGS. The clerk told me that many have looked, no one has bitten. I was one of the many. It is priced at $799.

Wow Wheel-Gunner actually saw one. What was your take on the gun? Did it seem worth the $800 price tag?

There is one sitting all by its lonesome at my LGS. The clerk told me that many have looked, no one has bitten. I was one of the many. It is priced at $799.
The price will keep all but the most serious wheelgunners away. Most will buy one to admire and put away as a future collectible, few will actually carry and shoot them.

Here are my comments on the new Colt that I posted in another thread:

I have only held one at my LGS.

Like many, when Colt made the announcement I was pumped and really looked forward to seeing one in person. If nothing else, as a revolver first kinda guy, I was not only happy to see Colt back in the game again but happy to see another revolver being produced for the masses (was happy to see Kimber enter the ring as well).

I have to admit after holding it, examining it closely up and down, and looking at the price tag dangling off the trigger guard (did not fire it), I was very underwhelmed. Disappointed. For the price, I would much rather get 1.5 or 2 used K frames and in my opinion have a better gun(s).

Only my opinion, of course, and I would be interested in what others might say on the subject.

I would also add that I do not dig the finish on the new Colt. Small thing maybe for some, but not for me at that price point. For contrast there is an old Model 29 a couple display cases away, beautiful blued shine, and the price is the same.

As of today, the Colt was still there. I saw it while I was perving a dish at a Ruger Single-Seven.

Last edited:
One was spotting lumbering across Wilshire Blvd in LA headin' for Baskin-Robbins. People fled in fear. It turned out to be Rosie O'Donnell.

As far as a Cobra, a Colt rep told me it ain't gonna go through CA's hoops to sell guns in this totalitarian state.

I've handled one and I've always liked the Detective Special (D-frame size).
I liked the one I handled.

So when I win a new Cobra in a raffle, I'll keep it. And use it!
Unless I sell it for a Smith or Ruger.

I saw one yesterday at my LGS here in Sugar Land, TX. $799 price tag (I believe), very nice but not that nice and I'm a Colt fan of sorts. Maybe someday when I don't have other shiny things beckoning to me (like the K6S in the case next to it! they let me dry fire the K6S...wow, what a sweet trigger).

Most the shops around here have them. One shop told me they have sold a few. They are priced at $659 there. Another shop has them for $709.

I looked at one here in Pasadena, TX today. It was $749.99. The all stainless S&W model 60 was $699.99. It looked good and now I really want one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
No way can a little .38 be compared to Bigfoot.

Bob Wright
I agree, Bob.

A .38 would just make the squatch irate.

Pretty sure the op is talking about a handgun that has been hard for him to find (i.e., the "elusive" BigFoot), not a handgun best suited for bagging Sasquatch should a mean one ever be encountered.

When i think of colt revolvers... i think of there classic looks and reliabilty.

I have seen the new colt revolver... looked kinda vanilla nothing special except it was a 38 special.

Reliability... we will see what the future holds

Back