Colt's 1851 Revolver quality.

Quincy

I'm considering getting into cap & ball. Been shooting rifles for years but haven't tried the smaller stuff. Went back and forth between a Ruger and a copy of an original and have decided on the first gunfighters tool. So my question is, out of what's available today, which one is top quality? I don't mind improving it after I've had it a while, but I'd like to start with a good foundation. Suggestions?

Uberti, Pietta.

"Improving " it sooner rather than later is better as far as parts wear.
I have had a new in the box '60 chew up a hammer cam in less than 50 cycles, necessitating a cam replacement and bolt replacement before it ever fired a shot.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Last edited:
From what I hear Uberti's seem to be more historically correct in size, but pietta's are just fine. Get a steel frame and you'll be happy

All this "talk", had to put a dozen rounds through my Uberti London. It is 0 degrees and 20+ wind so I reloaded in the truck cab, but now I have serenity!

Are the Colt reproductions any better than the Uberti's or Pietta's? Or are the Colt's brand labeled by one of them?

They're nicer guns, won't say they're any better. They all use Uberti parts. Colt did the final fitting and finishing on the second gens and a company called Colt Black Powder Arms Co did the final fit and finishing on the third gens under license from Colt. I assume they all have Uberti's short arbor syndrome but never took one apart so can't say for sure.

[emoji1] Lol. Sorry I just can't help it. Those two pistols are so dang sweet I wanna tell ERRYBODY!! Shoot I'll swing by the case quite often, and get one out just to hold it and thumb the hammer back. My wife looks at me weird, then says "You've got it Bad"

This my chance to comment on Mike's work on my pocket navy Uberti Colt. When I sent it to him the barrel cylinder gap was bridge worthy and altho it did lock up, the timing was a chucklefest. When I got it back I couldn't get my smallest feeler gauge in the gap when cocked. Mike explained what he did, and I'm sure he understood what he said but I didn't. With the barrel off I see some alchemy that I doubt is legal and due to the tropical Idaho climate I haven't been able to shoot it yet. I recommend his work uncondtioally unless the barrel comes off when I shoot it. I'll let you know. Thanks Mike.

45 Dragoon should be getting my 1860 in the mail today (out for delivery)... with all the praise he's getting, I figured he'd be swamped before I could get mine tuned. Be lookin for it goon!

Back