Colt

Steel

Forgive me, as this topic likely has surfaced a lot(?) :

Has Colt discontinued their manufacturing of their autoloader line of pistols? If so, is it applicable to civilian only? Feedback is appreciated.

"The system of banking [is] a blot left in all our Constitutions, which, if not covered, will end in their destruction... I sincerely believe that banking institutions are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity... is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
Thomas Jefferson

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolf Hitler

I have heard two things. Some say that the reason the 1991 was not submitted for testing in CA, is because Colt is getting out of the civilian market. But the guy at the gun store also told me that it was because colt didn't have to 9k per model to submit their guns for testing.

Sorry Can't help you more

This is what I've heard from FFL Dealers is that Colt is going discontinue the "basic" 1991A1 line and only sell their "enhanced" models, ie Defender,XSE's,Gold Cups. Again this is the word that is going around the campfire, you might want to call Colt customer service and hear what they actually have to say.

Steel, it sounds to me like some gunshop windbag was just trying to scare you into buying his over-priced Colt. Colt is still producing the 1991 model and has never ceased; however I think They did limit production significantly, leading to some scarcity for the last 6 months or so. Thankfully, production seems to have increased to meet demand as of December. Whereas this summer I could not get a Colt to save my life, but now my distributors have a glut of the plain-Jane ol' matte blue 1991's.

As for Colt phasing out the 1991 in favor of the new XSE, I would not think they would do that, as they are MUCH more expensive than the 1991. I don't think Colt would price themselves right out of the market. Besides, there's still quite a few traditionalists like me out there that really fancy the 1991's "military" looks ...

I saw a 1991 here in Atlanta

that was something like either $599 or $699. My mouth fell open. I bought mine new in 91 or 92 for $275. Wish I bought a dozen!

grapeshot - i don't think colt is trying to price themselves out of the market, it's more like they were driven out of the market by their prices ;).

for less than the price as a 1991a1 you can get a springfield if you dont mind a brazilian manufactured frame and slide.

for what you would spend for a 1991a1 that you can then dress up :rolleyes: with whichever bells and whistles you'd like, you could get a plain kimber, spec'd by chip mccormick, with everything you'd need for carry

i think colt is going with the money makers; ie:custom shop guns

Here is a link for the guns Colt currently manufactures:
http://www.colt.com/colt/html/a2_coltfirearms.html

At the last Dallas and Houston gun shows I attended there was an ample supply of Colt 'Match Targets' and 1991A1's. The 1991A1 in blue was about $459 NIB and $549 in stainless. Colt still makes guns for civilians, the rumor that they were only going to make the XS series O model and SAA was started in Sept 1999.

COLT IS HERE TO STAY!!!!

Don't let these silly rumors about Colt going out of business keep going around! That's why all these dang dealers keep jackin' up their prices on them! By keeping this rumor goin'! Even when my brother and I tried showing the owner of our local gun shop the newsletter from Colt stating how they were not ceasing production, it was like he didn't want to know, or anyone else, so he could keep scalping the prices! I did read in that newletter how they did an internal audit and found out how they had been underpricing their guns and would be raising the prices for real. But the current high prices we all see on Colt pistols is a joke and it makes me sick how these dealers keep getting away with it. But because the demand is high and they keep convincing people they need to buy now or they will never be able to get them at these prices again, I don't think they will be going down. Unless you find someone who is honest and won't try to screw you in the buy.

9mmepiphany,

um, what I meant was that I believe the XSE has Kimber-like "enhancements" but is going to be somewhat more expensive than a Kimber, and thus not really price competitive with it. However, the 1991 is price competitive - it's in the same ballpark, being actually 125 bucks less than for a Kimber last time I checked.

Sure, you get less features with a 1991, but around here a lot of guys don't give a hoot about those bells and whistles anyway and would be happier saving their 125 bucks. In this sense, the 1991 is a good value for the shooter, being much cheaper than the XSE and the Kimber.

Count me among those who find the bells and whistles frivolous and gimmicky. I finally sold my jam-o-matic Kimber and got a plain-jane 1991 that works an honest 100 percent of the time, and THAT is what impresses me.

As far as Colt, or any other gun manufacturer, not selling in California because of the "testing fee" our "enlightened" legislature has imposed, that's horse hockey! Don't let anyone sell you that. The fee is small (though unfair) and, besides, it's simply another cost of doing business. Those companies who do continue to sell in California will pass that cost along to the consumer. It won't cost them a dime!

Colt in California

hi folks,...

FWIW,... I called Colt 3 weeks ago, talk to someone in their customer service. I inquired about their availability in California after 01/01/01 because of SB15. She did inform me that they will be/have submitted their line of .45s for testing in California. As far as, what models,... i don't know. Looks like it's going to be "wait and see"...

I think thats what the FFL dealers and a few gunsmiths had heard as far as California. Colt will not be submitting the basic 1991A1 line in Ca, only their enhanced models. I guess they will still be selling their 91A1 line outside of Ca. Again, this is just rumor, but you know Colt. You never know about them, I guess that's why I buy Colt. :)

Back