Colt XS series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking with a buddy tonight about getting my Lightweight Commander customized. He mentioned that I ought to just swap it in on the XS series. He said it was already ambi-dextrious (I'm southpawed), had an aluminum trigger, Novak "type" sites, front slide serrations, beavertail, and a full length guide rod (which I don't like).

Anyway, he said they had this gun in the lightweight and combat commander, stainless, for $599. He offered me $400 (or thereabouts) for my Series 80. I'm thinking about doing it, but I haven't heard any pro's or con's on the XS Series. Would I really be saving that much money by going with one that's already set-up? Or would it be more gratifying to do my own?

What are your opinions?

------------------
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. ~~Etienne de Grellet

You would probably save some money doing the swap. The new Colts with the "Defender" features are pretty nice. The beavertail is a decently fitted high sweep unit, not the horrid thing they put on the "enhanced" pistols, and the sights are decent, if a bit "clunky" looking compared to Novaks or Heinie SlantPro's. I agree with you on the useless guide-rod, but this is easily swapped for standard Commander parts.

These pistols seem to function well with most all ammo types and really represent a great value. They do, however, come with a lot of sharp edges on the slides and a plastic mainspring housing. Both of these pitfalls can be corrected easily.

Rosco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back