Colt XS .45 vs Kimber

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequickad

Colt finally decides to compete with Kimber and introduces the XS series of the .45 Government models. However, the quality of Colts have been going downhills for a while. Anyone knows if the XS seriers are any better? :)

I bought a 01070XS Colt Government several months ago.It is a beautiful 1911A1. It has all the features, enhanced stainless barrel, McCormick hammer and sear (like Kimber), beavertail safety, etc. Fit and finish are on a par with Kimber. It is a tackdriver and for about 50 rounds it was flawless in performance...HOWEVER, it has sharp edges everywhere, some VERY sharp. On my gun the trigger started out at about 5 pounds and by round 50 had gone to about 7 pounds. Some tweaking and polishing brought it back to about 5 pounds.

I guess the sharp edges and the trigger got to me and I had an opportunity to sell the gun...I did!

I own two Kimber Classic Customs. They have been flawless performers. They also are tackdrivers and smooth as silk, with triggers which are 3-3.5 lbs.(slightly tweaked)

If you buy the Government model XS for about $600., and have the ability to hone down some of the edges, and have the ability to tweak a series 80 1911A1 trigger, this may be the gun for you.

At this point, I would suggest that you look real hard at the Kimber...IMHO, It doesn't need these mods to provide the pleasure that we all seek in a proper 1911A1

That is why the XS series was brought out, to correct the quality problem. You could buy a Kimber or SA with all the trick parts already on it. Colt is trying to compete with its own higher grade pistol. I would say the XS are some of the better Colts in awhile (excluding the SAA), but that isn't saying too much considering what they have been producing.

I have a Lightweight Commander in the new XS Series (though I had heard Colt describe them as the O Series at a couple points) and I am satisfied with it. It isn't as accurate as my Kimbers, but it is a good little gun. Didn't notice many sharp edges and the trigger is pretty nice...sub 5 pounds. But I still think Kimber is the best for the money.

I had a Colt "Officers" 1991a1 - the bottom of the line and made a couple years ago when Colt was supposedly at its worst.

I worked fine. It fired ball ammo and Federal Hydra-shoks without a hiccup. It wasn't real accurate or well finished but hell, it was a carry gun, not a target pistol. The trigger was terrible.

I bought a Kimber Compact and sold the Colt.

The Kimber is a much better piece, just as reliable (never a jam in thousands of rounds now), more accurate and prettier - and it has a great trigger.
Functionally though, in the real world I'm sure I was just as well protected with either piece.

If this pistol is intended for both recreational target shooting as well as self defense, get the Kimber. If you're looking at just self defense and you can get a better deal,, consider the Colt.
If you have any problems with the Colt, they'll likely be minor, stuff like polishing the feed ramp, etc.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

I have the Colt XS Govt and a Kimber ProElite, which is a Commander-sized. The XS is beautifully finished, does indeed have razor sharp edges on the slide, very manageable recoil and is a true tack driver. The trigger on the Colt came @ a very smooth 3.5lbs and has stayed there, with no variance that another poster experienced with his. My Kimber isn't as accurate yet, and came with some quality control issues..ambi-safety fell out before it was ever fired and Kimber nicked the finish on the slide when they installed the front site...Bottom line is I think Colt has succeeded in bringing a 1911 to market that is as well-made as the Kimber and I think that you can't go wrong with the Kimber line or the new XS Colts.....Dan in GA

one other thing.....the Colt website indicates that the XS's now available have been de-horned, which I wish they had done back in August when I purchased mine.......Dan in GA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back