Colt WW1 Commemoratives...

Rmf33

Recently I spied several different WW1 Colt Commemorative 1911s at a large gun store. Does anyone know the quality/value of these pieces? One or two of them were downright nice looking (Bellau Woods)? etc. I am interested in one to display IF they are nice pieces.
Thanks,
Bob
p.s. They appear to be 20-30 years old and are 'cased' in a
glass topped frame IIRC.

They were sold as sets of four Colt 1911 pistols...

Chateau Thierry, Meuse Argonne, Belleau Wood, and Marne, IIRC. All four had the same serial #. Must've been sold in 1968, the fiftieth anniversary of the big one. Unless you had all four I would say not much collector value except it is a real Colt 1911. !!

Also there was a two gun set for WWII. Pacific Theater and Euro Theater issued in 1970, in boxes with same serial # and a book.

IIR... WWI Commeratives were heavily touted and reserved in early 68. Two grades, very limited number of the high dollar grade. I retailed the "limited edition but we are going to make a lot more of em if they sell" grade for $224.27 each. Delivery was spread as they made em. My Chateau Thierry ones arrived in Sept 68, Belleau Wood arrived in Oct 68, Second Marne arrived in May 69 and Meuse Argonne arrived in November 69.

I know of none of these having been fired. The fit and finish was outstanding. Large display box for the set was sold seperately.

Prices relative....I was retailing 4" S&W model 28s for under 110 at that time.

Sam

Back