Colt Woodsman Match Target 22

Randy63

Hello all,
I have a chance to buy a Woodsman Match Target with the 6" barrel in excellent condition for $540. I'd like to know how the accuracy of this pistol compares to the S&W model 41.

Thanks in advance,
Randy

Randy63... This is a good price if this Woodsman Match Target is in excellent condition. Since you give the barrel length as 6", it is either a 2nd or 3rd generation Woodsman Match Target. (The 1st generation Match Target had a 6 5/8" barrel with no underlug). Here is the url of Bob Rayburn's Woodsman Page: http://www.colt22.com/cwpg.html

Owning both, I think that you will find that the accuracy of either the Colt Match Target Woodsman or the S&W M41 is more than satisfactory for all but the highest levels of competition. A Hammerli M280, for instance, is easier to shoot really well than either the Woodsman M.T. or the Smith M41.

The Woodsman has been out of production for almost 30 years. While these pistols rarely need attention, some parts are becoming hard to find. On the other hand, keeping a M41 in top condition will usually require more (minor) service than a Woodsman. Parts, if needed, are readily available.

Don't forget to give serious consideration to High Standard: I have an old Hamden made Victor that is a pleasure to shoot.

Bob

Thanks for the info bfoster,
This Match Target is a 3rd generation model. I wondered about the accuracy because I already have a 3rd generation Woodsman Sport model with the 4 1/2 inch barrel and my friend can outshoot me any day of the week with his model 41 S&W.
Thanks again,
Randy

Randy63... I have both a 4½ & 6" 3rd generation Match Target Woodsman. The 6" is the better shooter, by a point or two average on a 10 shot string.

Provided that your Sport Model is in good shape, you might try a trick that was almost "standard practice" with the non-underlugged 1st generation Match Target pistols back in the 1930's. Tape a lead weight to the underside of the barrel, or wrap lead sheet around the barrel of your Sport Model- you'll probably find that something in the 3 to 6 oz range is right for you. The idea was to slow the normal oscillation, not to grossly unbalance the pistol.

Bob

The Woodsman is a great shooter.The grip is a little on the short side for me,and sometimes they can be temperamental with various types of ammo.Eveyone should have a Colt in their stable tho--so I guess you should buy it.However don't go shooting a Browning Medalist after you get the Colt,it'll only make you sad.

Gil Hebbard published a little paperback book some time back called something like "A Pistol Shooter's Treasury." In it he compared the Woodsman with the S&W 41 and with an accurized Ruger Mark I. He concluded that the Woodsman shot adequately well to score a possible in bullseye shooting, but it was not in the same league with the 41 OR the Ruger in accuracy. Those pistols were capable of shooting all X's. That said, the Woodsman feels great and is certainly a sexier pistol than either of the others!

At one time the MT Woodsman was the finest target pistol generally available.
It's a beautiful piece of work, but it's obsolete.
Now, it ranks far down the list of available and cheaper alternatives.
I would recommend buying one only for the aesthetics of the thing, as a keepsake, heirloom or collectable.
To shoot, in order of price, lowest to highest: the Ruger Mark II Target, Govt. or Comp. Flatside (new); the S&W 41 (new or used, the older ones are better); or the Connecticut High Standard Tropy or Victor (only available used, and some of the ones made in the early 80's were iffy.) Which of these is best for you depends a lot on your style of shooting and physique.
All but the Ruger will cost about what that Woodsman is offered for. Any of them will give you a much better value for your dollar if what you want is a 'shootin' gun.
Of course there are .22 imports that are even more expensive, and a few oddballs like Browning Medalist, but they aren't at your price point.

Back