Colt Walker Kit

KevininPa

Hello everyone, I'm posting to see if anyone has info, good or bad, about the Walker kit that's advertised in Dixie Gun Works. My buddy wants a Walker but is turned off by the price compared to other black powder revolvers. He also said that he wouldn't mind a kit to work on, so this seems the perfect gig for him. The only thing I found out about it is that it is a Palmetto. I'm new to BP myself ( just got a ROA not long ago ), so I have no info on Palmettos to give him. There's 2 reviews on the Dixie site itself and those weren't bad. Thanks in advance for any information.

Kevin in Pa

Some may notice this post elsewhere. Thank God for copy and paste instead of more hunt and peck!

Stay away from Palmetto arms anything. There QC is non existant. everyone I know who has had anything they make has found them to be horrible.

What Old Dragoon said....

...was good advice.

Palmetto's reputation has been poor quality for a long time and it's not getting much better.

I strongly recommend your friend buy the Uberti kit Walker (catalog no. RK0447) instead. Strongly.

Yes, it's $40 more. Cheap compared to the effort that may (will) be necessary to overcome the Palmetto shortcomings.

Some of the reviews on the Dixie site are positive. Unfortunately they usually end with " and sumday I am gonna take it out 'n SHOOT It!" People who have actually shot them report that Palmetto should be transported to the lowest epicycle of perdition, issued a shovel and instructed to dig.

Palmetto makes several complete guns and kits. People who have looked at the Colt root revolving rifle are impressed with the fit and finish. when they go to shot it however, they are disturbed by the experience. One factor seems to be that all the cylinders are bored to different sizes. It would probably be a lot easier to bore them all the same but Palmetto goes the extra mile to screw them up.

One guy whose review got yanked early bought one of their Lincoln Derringers and the sear crumbled away on the first shot. I built one from a kit. The wood had deep crevasses in it and all the parts were mismatched. The sear on this one crumbled away before I even got it finished. I reshaped the tip but it still required several drops of the hammer to set off a cap.
Occasionally, you can pull up the Palmetto web site online and email them. this would be fine except they don't answer their e-mail.

The Uberti Walker Kit is a good product

Uberti Kit.

I would really recommend the Uberti kit. I've looked at both, read both reviews, and to be honest, it looks like it's well worth the extra $$.
Comparing the reviews, though those for the Palmetto were positive, the ones for the Uberti were even moreso. Also, Uberti does hold a great reliability reputation, and their customer service is head and shoulders above Palmetto. I really enjoy my Uberti '58 Remington, and it's quality and function are just great.
$40 bucks may seem like a lot, but it may save quite a bit of heartache down the road.

Back