Colt walker and Kaido Ojamma bullets?

SAA GunSlinger

This question maybe a little difficult to answer but would anyone have any idea what the ballistics would be with a colt walker firing a 240 grain conical Kaido ojamma bullet? Ive seen people in forums and videos do ballistics on 1858 remingtons, 1860 armys with kaido bullets and so on but I'm very curious of what a walker with 50 to 60 grains of triple 7 would be capable of, especially when firing a 240 grain conical kaido ojamma bullet. I read that some people say that it will exceed the power of a .357 magnum and come close to the power of a 41 magnum but I want to hear from the experts first (that's all of u :D ) before I make any assumptions.

It would easily outpace a standard .357 Magnum. My ROA's more accurate load is 35 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford or Triple 7. I use an adjustable rifle measure which is likely graduated for 2F. Weighing the Olde E it's roughly 38 grns. Comparing this to chronographed results of similar powder and projectiles I figure I'm getting 475-525 ft/lbs easily with my 195 grn WFN conicals.

A note of caution though. I had also created a modified design with longer driving bands to increase pressure in my ROA as these were quite large (.675" OAL) at 285 grns and take up precious powder capacity. This guy tried it in his ASM Walker with 52 grns of Pyrodex P and blew his cylinder. It could well be that the cylinder wasn't strong as ASM was well known for quality issues. But that bullet was never meant for a reproduction as the steel used isn't like that of the ROA. It could well be the higher pressures did it. And maybe the projectile wasn't fully seated. I don't know. But I do know he luckily still has his hand and was able to find another cylinder and won't be doing that again (he won't load any conical).

The originals were designed to use the 170 grn Picket conicals with about 50 grns of powder. These also blew up occasionally, though no one knows for sure whether it was the poor quality or overloading. The Dragoons made afterwards didn't seem to have this issue but they also used better metal as well as the reduced charge.

This is the bullet:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-285C-D.png

I believe Hovey Smith hunts with a Walker known as the "Super Walker" and he uses Kaido's bullets with maximum Trip.7 loads. Last I heard, it's working just fine.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Is there another fellow with them that hunts with a Walker? Don't recall the name he used, but he preferred 66 grns of 2F T7 with a ball claiming the wound channel was more wicked within 25 yds compared to Kaido's 240 grn bullet.

I haven't kept up with those Yahoo groups. Apparently I should revisit them.

Back