Colt Troopers and Lawmen

Shmackey

Can someone tell me about these .357 revolvers? They seem to compete with older *&* revolvers. What's their relationship with the Pythons and Cobras?

I have owned a Colt Trooper MkIII and an earlier Colt 357. Both are great revolvers.

The Colt Trooper has a heavier barrel than the Colt 357 and I think it helps tame that muzzle jump. I have not yet owned a Python so I can't say too much about those except that I want one and can not afford one just yet.

The Trooper actions are different from the Python.

The Anaconda shares attributes with the Trooper action. I haven't looked at one of the Cobras.

The "J" frame Trooper MKIII/Lawman series replaced the old Colt Trooper E/I frame guns, of which the Python is a version.

The Trooper MKIII was to be a good step below the high quality Python, and was intended for the police department and sportsman who wouldn't pay the high price of the Python. It was popular with a number of departments, including the U.S. Border Patrol, who bought it with the barrel marked Colt Border Patrol.

The "J" frame was to be a less costly to build service type revolver. It was one of the first modern transfer bar guns, which most revolvers since have copied. There were a number of "J" frame guns made, including the Trooper MK III, Lawman, Official Police MKIII, Metropolitian Police, Trooper MKIV, and Peacekeeper, among others.

The King Cobra is an updated "J" series revolver, which replaced all the others.

The Trooper MKIII was Colt's "cheaper" gun, who's finish makes most newer guns look poor by comparison. They are top of the line guns. Most people who have them really like them.

Barrels lengths on the Trooper MKIII's was 4, 6, and 8 inches.
Calibers were .38/.357, .22LR, and .22 Magnum.
Finishes were blue, bright nickel, and electroless nickel, also sold as the "Coltguard" finish.

The "J" frame guns have an action somewhat stronger than the older E/I frame Colts.

If you ever have the chance to get one, you won't be disappointed.

I purchased a Lawman with a 2"bbl recently and love it. The trigger is very smooth, albeit a little heavy.
I am an official Colt addict now. :)

Laters,
MO :cool:

I bought a Lawman Mk III about 20 years ago. It was my first handgun and at that time I knew nothing about guns. I still have it and plan to keep it. It is a class act, well-built, reliable, and accurate. Recommended.

In my introduction to handguns, way back in 1968;
I once saw a NIB Colt Lawman with a 4" barrel at
Aeromarine Supply Company in Bombingham, AL.
The price was right; but I didn't have any cash on
me. $115.00, out the door.:( :) :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member

Back