Colt Trooper

popeye

I've got a chance to pick up a MK 3 blue, 4in. for $350. If you folks think price is o.k. I'm gonna trade some stuff for it. Gun is 99%. My 7yr. old Blue Book says $275. But I don't hardly see any of these. The $75 difference will just about put a down payment on a gumball anymore. I'm more concerned with "is this model reliable?"

Popeye-

In your list of thing's to check when buying
a used revolver, be sure and check for any
movement of the firing pin bushing. This is
a common problem with Colt's internal firing
pin design. If all is O.K. then the price is
right; go for it.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Ala Dan......Thanks much for info. That's the reason I asked here, as there seems to be a wealth of dependable knowledge. Is a loose bushing repairable, or is redrill, oversize bushing the answer. I may not understand the fp design.

Popeye-

I bought a NIB Colt Trooper MK-III back in
1973; and didn't know about the firing pin
bushing problem. The weapon was sent to
Walter Craig in Selma, AL who at the time
did warranty repair work for Colt. When I
got it back and inspected the work; it was
as if some high school student had worked
on it with a ball-peen hammer, as tool
marks were visible all over the recoil
shield. Yes, its repairable by a qualified
smith. I'm not sure which method Mr. Craig
used on my weapon, and I eventually sold it
for a small profit. Later on I purchased a
short lived Colt Trooper MK-V with Coltguard
finish and 4" barrel; it was a beauty to
behold, and shoot I might add. Don't know
why the MK-V was discontinued; as it actually
looked and felt like a small Python.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Colt

Ala Dan,
I picked up a Colt Trooper Mark V last year and you couldn't have said it better. This .357 is nickel plated, 4" vented barrel and is just plain awsome. Why did they discontinue it?:confused:

Att: Ray

You hit the nail on the head; those were a
beautiful and awesome looking weapon. After
about a two year run; they disappeared rather
suddenly. IMHO, I do believe that the company
felt like it would turn out to be a Python
competitor; and may have become a "major
player" to supercede the more expensive
Python. If memory serves me correctly,
Python's were going around the $479-$600
dollar mark back then; and I beleive I
gave about $289.00 for the MK-V NIB.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Sounds good to me. I have one in nickel I bought about a year ago for $350 with crappy aftermarket grips, otherwise in great condition.

IMHO, it's a classic. And like real estate, they ain't making any more. I wouldn't buy it as an investment, hoping to make money out of it. But I'd grab it now knowing that the next one you come across will cost more. And if you don't buy this one, you will kick yourself and buy the next one.

The Colt Mark V was discontinued because it was replaced by the King Cobra. Basically the same gun with updated barrel, etc.

The Trooper MKIII is a truly great gun. I wouldn't be too concerned about loose bushings. I've only seen two defective bushings. One was botched up during a firing pin replacement, and the other was simply undersized. A new factory replacement fixed it up.

Strange to think that the MKIII was Colt's "cheaper" gun. The blue job is much better than most anything made today.

Grab this one, you won't be sorry.

Colt did not make any junk! for sure----
The Trooper series was designed as a rugged duty weapon--much in the same light as the fine Ruger 'Six' series.
Those Colts are super good and accurate.
My best friend has one and all they 'require' is a trip to a good Colt gunsmith for a action smooting job and then plenty of shooting!
It is the type of gun which I reguard as a 'shooter'.
I agree that the current price(s) for many excellent shooters really is a bargain in two ways----
(1.) The various good revolvers(used and various makes and models) are available for now.
(2.) In the near future they 'may-be' hard to locate and the prices will probably be higher ----then.
One of my friends paid $700 for a NIB Diamondback in 22.
He had it smoothed up and then shoots it on a regular basis.
It is somekind of a beautiful work of art from my viewpoint.
Whew! we need to buy all the good Colt revolvers and the Ruger Six series that we can scrape up the money for and now.
I am seeing used md 28's going for $350 now.
When the whole handgunning crowd finally realizes the greatness of the Speed Six and Security model Rugers then the price of them will go out of sight too.
This is a little off the topic but the old High Standard 22 semis and the super beautiful Colt Woodsmen should be purchased on sight!
Don Mallard

Friday I pick up the Trooper. Sitting next to it is a .22 Diamondback 6". If I had the $600 asking price I'd get it too. I'ts there on consignment so I can't trade for it. Thank's to all for comments/info..

If the 22 Diamondback is in very good condition, $600 is a good price. The 6" 22 Diamondbacks have skyrocketed in price recently.

Breaking news: Trooper turns into Diamondback!
I went to pick up the trooper and noticed the DB was reduced to $550. So I took it instead of Trooper. Gun looks 99.9.

Attachments

• dia.jpg
    dia.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 81
popeye, that just might be the best breaking news I've
heard all day? Enjoy, that really nice looking Colt.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Back