Colt Trooper vs S&W K38 Masterpiece

zanemoseley

Within the next year I want to buy my first revolver. I think I've decided to pick up an older model as I feel like the finish quality in them is better than the newer revolvers.

Which of these 2 models would you pick? My primary concerns are finish quality, accuracy and finish quality.

Honestly I'd love a Python but the pricing and reliability makes it a no go. The Trooper feels like a bit of a compromise in cost and sounds as if it's more reliable and less finicky. The Masterpiece looks like a solid option but deep down the Colt is drawing me but my rational side thinks the K38 may be a smarter option

So which would you select and why?

Colt/S&W

My daughter's first center fire handgun was the Smith masterpiece which is smooth as silk and very accurate.

We will not go wrong with it.

Among my S&W revolvers I don't have a Model 15 or K 38 Combat Masterpiece but have had the pleasure of handling several. They were all a pleasure to shoot. I do have a Colt Trooper MK III and it is also a fine revolver. If a K 38 were to come my way at a fair price I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Honestly, I really can't say I favor one or the other. This would be a choice where you really can't go wrong assuming either gun in excellent condition.

Ron

I have had one double-action Colt and about a dozen double-action S&W's. I found the Colt double-action to be limited in adjustment and tuning whereas the Smiths are more friendly to adjustment with their component parts. In short, the Smiths have a design that is conducive to modification (smoothing, lightening), and repair with more parts available (different weights of mainsprings, rebound slide springs), than Colt double-actions. In all, I could never understand the appeal of a Python beyond external cosmetics...open one up and it is not so pretty.

Trooper, or Trooper MKIII? If a MKIII I'd take the Smith for sure.

For a shooter, I'd go with the Smith. Not that there's anything wrong with Colts. Fine guns. But they are much harder to find a competent gunsmith for. Smith will still service their older guns, and generally most gunsmiths know their way around them.

Once they get to a certain age you have to go gun by gun.

As a general rule the K-38 masterpiece will be a better gun just because it was a higher price point gun when new.

The Colt Trooper was designed as a lower cost gun.

The kicker is that Colts are known for good triggers and even a low cost Colt could have a better trigger than the S&W.

So try lots of different ones out.

Few Colts have an "off the shelf" better trigger than the average S&W. Still, Colts are rugged and reliable and will give good service.

Jim

Howdy

I will take the Smith every time.

The Three Screw K-38 with the funky fake stag grips at the top of the photo shipped in 1957, just before the name of the revolver was changed to the Model 14. The Five Screw K-38 at the bottom of the page shipped in 1950.

2k38s02_zps0886d89f.jpg

The 38 M&P Target Model predates the K-38. This one shipped in 1917. A really nice gun to shoot, but you need a teeny little screwdriver to adjust the rear sight.

MPtarget01_zpsed256824.jpg

I lucked into this Model 14-3 that shipped in 1974 a couple of years ago. Like new, with the box, only $500. I ran as fast as I could to the cash register before the store owner could change his mind.

model14-3box02_zps33983522.jpg

Seriously though, Smiths are much easier to work on than a Colt, and parts are more easily available.

Last edited:
Never shot a Colt so can't attest to that, but both my 14-3 and my 67 are super sweet shooters. The Model 14 makes me look like a lot better shot than I am.

What Walnut said.

Getting a Colt fixed is becoming increasingly hard to next to impossible, depending on its age.

I've been a Smith & Wesson aficionado for many years, but just recently I've added several Colt revolvers to my collection -- a Police Positive in .32 Long, a Police Positive Special in .32-20, and an Official Police in .38 Special.

There's a LOT to like about those guns, but I checked them very carefully to make sure that they were in sound mechanical condition before I purchased them.

I own both guns,,,

A 4" Mk-III in .357 Magnum
A 4" Model 15 Combat Masterpiece in .38 Special.

The Model 15 fits my hand better,,,
But that could just be the difference in grips.

Either gun shoots very well,,,
Both have comparably good triggers,,,
But I'm going to echo Walnut and Mike Irwin.

In my small town I know of three gunsmiths,,,
Who can and will work on S&W's.

None of them want to do any work on the Colt,,,
They're parts are scarce and costly.

So if you want a shooter rather than a collector piece,,,
I would definitely recommend the S&W over the Colt.

Aarond

One difference not mentioned between the Trooper and the Combat Masterpiece is the Trooper is a bigger revolver, more like the Python I Frame or L Frame Smith and L-framish Ruger GP100.

But I'll chime in regarding the Smith being the easier to work on, fix and find parts if needed.

But maybe it's also because I own Combat Masterpieces (Model 15s and 67s to be precise) and long ago gave up on the Colt design.

I might be the wrong guy to ask. I have a penchant for K frame Smith & Wessons...

6240522001_e7ce443c9e_z.jpg

I like the Colts, I only have one at the moment. A Python.

You mentioned reliability? Never been a problem for me...

I've never been much of a fan of Colt DA revolvers...they always seemed a bit clunky to me in their looks. Smiths just look right...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure.

Accuracy wise, the Smith may be a bit better, but, again, all guns are individuals and the Trooper you like may be just the ticket. Were it me, I'd try 'em both in the hand, and pick the one that feels right...too, aftermarket stocks will really improve the feel...try one of Jerry Miculek's stocks to feel what a truly great grip is all about. I have them on two of my N frame Smiths and a K frame M19.

If you pick the Smith, I'd suggest a Smith Model 15 if you're into the .38 Special as it's a better carrying gun (4" bbl.). The longer M14 barrel makes it a range gun only for me. If you want to get into .357 loads, then the M19 is a K frame that's world famous for it's accuracy and reliability. It'd be my choice in a 4" bbl.

Rod

Last edited:
Mk III, you can always get a nice Smith latter.
Troopers were pretty rugged.
Not a fan of the Mk V though.

Sounds like I'm definitely going with the S&W, I'd like a pretty shooter and should I need work done it would be great if I could find parts and a Smith to do the work.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

"I've never been much of a fan of Colt DA revolvers...they always seemed a bit clunky to me in their looks. Smiths just look right...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder..."

I've always been the same way. Colts just never looked... finished... to me.

Then, a couple of years ago I was watching the Johnny Depp movie where he plays Dillinger, and in one of the jailbreak scenes he opens a strong box and there's just row upon row of Colt revolvers with hard rubber grips...

Something snapped in my mind and I thought "I need to get some Colt revolvers."

So I did.

Still don't like the looks nearly as much as my S&Ws, but you know, those Colts have a charm all their own.

And my Official Police has a FANTASTIC trigger pull.

I have owned both revolvers. I still own the S&W.:) I bought the Colt new back in 1969 and sold it about twenty years later. It was one of the last original models produced. It was not a bad revolver by any means, but it just didn't compare to the Smith IMHO.

S&Ws are (in my experience) a much more consistent (effort-wise) trigger pull all the way through when shooting DA, and are so much easier to tune by replacing a couple of springs that most people (2 out of 3?) prefer them. Colts tend to stack (get harder to pull) before the trigger breaks, and are generally speaking more costly.

Both brands have numerous classic models. I hope someday to get an Anaconda to compare to my 629-4 Classic DX, which is a gem. I think the K38 (Model 14) is a wonderful revolver and has a definite reputation advantage over the Trooper.

"...Police Positive Special in .32-20..." Have one of those. Innards are a nightmare compared to a Smith of the same vintage.
As I recall, a Python and Trooper are the same thing. Difference is that the Python had a factory fitted and smoothed trigger. Trooper, like every other firearm, Smith's included, requires a trigger job out of the box.
However, that isn't as important as how well the Trooper(Lawman/Peacekeeper) or the Smith fits your hand. Mind you, there are no BNIB Colt Trooper revolvers. Out of production since 1985.

Back