COLT TROOPER MRK V

RAY WOODROW 3RD

In the process of picking up a Colt Trooper Mark V .357 nickel plated. Has anybody owned one? What have you heard about this firearm? Any help would be extremely appriciated.

It was a service grade revolver... not as finely made as a python, but will get the job done just fine. Assuming it has been well maintained over the years, it should last you a lifetime.

Yes, the MK V was a good gun, building on the success of the MK III revolver series. Also, back then Colt's offered about the best nickel finish in the industry (IMHO).

FWIW, I have a MK III .357, with a fine blue finish, beautiful color case-hardened hammer and trigger, and walnut stocks. Looking now at the quality of revolvers like the MK III and MK V, it's hard to believe that they were considered an economy line when they were made.

The Mark III is the only .357 I kept after owning almost twenty. .357 was my choice of calibers for carry for many years and I was trying them all. I ended up with the MK III. The last two .357's I owned were MK III's, and I kept the better looking one. Both shot the same. The only offering in an 'upward' direction is the Python (and I sold that, too).

I currently own a Mark III, also. I've always felt that it is probably one of the most under-appreciated wheelguns there are. This one, a 6" in .357, is very accurate and has one of the smoothest triggers I've ever pulled. I bought this one after regretting that I sold an earlier Trooper. I won't make that mistake again.

--
Mike

I'm with the posters above on Colt's Mark III Trooper. I have one I bought in '83, and it is a fine, sturdy piece, with great accuracy. The biggest problem I have with it is that my wife has "requisitioned" it from me, and it's really not "mine", anymore.

FWIW. J.B.

I've owned 5 or 6 Mark III's. One .357 and the rest .22's.
Seems strange that they were Colt's "economy" gun, of the time. One summer when I had a 6 inch blue, I was buying a 500 round brick of ammo every weekend. I was shooting the entire brick up on a farm, mostly plinking. I've always had the knack for ariel shooting, and was shooting cans in the air, etc. After the first few weeks, I was shooting double action only. That fall I bought a Marlin 39-A lever action rifle. It was almost too easy, after all that pistol work.
Any way, the Trooper III with a lighter trigger spring, a modified hammer spring, and an action polish, is hard to beat.
The Trooper 5 has an even better trigger.
After years of other .22's, I found a new Mark III, 4 inch and I'm having a ball shooting it.

Back