Colt Trooper MKIII

DCloudy777

There's a Colt Trooper MKIII in a local shop here that I'd like some opinions on. It's blued, 4", adjustable sights, looks to be in perfect shape mechanically and pretty good shape cosmetically too. The blueing is intact and nice, very rich, with just a touch of surface rust around sights, screws, little areas. It's marked $259, might could get it a little cheaper... should I jump on it or run from it? Thanks in advance...

DanO

DCloudy, around my neck of the woods, that's a good price. I have one identical to the one you described, other than mine's a six inch bbl. --without the little rust spots -- and I've always found it to be a fine shooter. I'd jump on it like a hawk on a June Bug. And as you said, you might even get it a bit cheaper.

Good luck. J.B.

Dcloudy777

My friend who lives in the Mountains had a oppertuninty to purchase one of those -blue-4" -adjustable sights.
He was about to begin to handload for the 38/357.
He is a rifle man and has few handguns.
He asked my thoughts on it.
First off they are quality.
The gun was in good shape like the one you discribe.
He followed my suggestions and is happy as can be.
I suggested he buy the gun as I am suggesting you do to the same.
I suggested he send it to Mr. Walter Birdsong to have the matte black Teflon finish applied to end the rust concerns and the teflon fills all invisable crevices in the lockwork parts. That means when the parts rub together during operation of it --then in a short time the action becomes much smoother when the Teflon is rubbed-'shinny". Teflon reduces friction.
He wanted to teach his 12 yr old son to shoot.
The dad is 45.
He wanted a target load and powerful magnum type load too.
I suggested he order Bullseye and 2400 powder.
Small pistol primers-standard and magnum
Meister 148 gr wadcutter and hard cast 158 gr SWC-same brand.
Some IMI cases in 357 and Winchester 38 special cases.
3.0 grns of Bullseye and standard primers with 38 cases and wadcutters.
12.5 grns of 2400 -magnum primers-IMI cases, 158 grn hard cast SWC bullets.
The bullseye load is the standard 38 target load and the 12.5 of 2400 load is powerful and accurate
A pleasure to shoot with Hogue grips.
He is tickled and loves both loads
His good Colt will live from now on with those loads.
Don Mallard

Hey DCloudy777,

Sounds like a good price to me. Tip of the day-
be sure to open the cylinder and check the frame
mounted firing pin bushing; as they have been known to move forward sometimes; binding a fully loaded cylinder, and this requires a smith to get the
gun back into firing order.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

As far as the basic quality of the Trooper MK III is concerned, mine is a 4-inch blue as well, and whenver I look at it I'm amazed all over again that this beauty was considered an economy model when it was made 20-some years ago. Nowadays our top-of-the-line revolvers are not near so nice. I'd gladly go for another one for $259. The light rust is too bad, but may clean up some with oil and bronze wool.

Grab it, by all means.

Mine was given to me by a friend.

I really can't express without prejudice how much I appreciate this revolver except to say it is the only one I kept after the many years of being a .357 Magnum follower.

I've always thought that the Colt Trooper is one of the most under-appreciated handguns around. I made the mistake of selling my Mk II, but I was able to replace it with a Mk III. I will not make that mistake again.

--
Mike

All Good advice...
I happen to be sitting at my computer and guess what is right beside me???
A Colt Trooper MKIII .357..
This is one sweet gun and if I saw one for that price I would buy it in a heartbeat...

This little beauty is a real work of art and it is extermely accurate..

I have been looking at the local shops for a Colt Trooper MKIII .22lr.

That is my next gun.....

I bought a used Trooper Mark III for $200 in 1995 and like a fool I sold it a year later for $225. It was a beautiful blue .357 maggie and I regret ever selling it. The only criticism I ever heard about them was that some of the internals were constructed of "sintered metal", which apparently is not as strong as forged steel. I would love to have mine back. I am still kicking myself for that dumb decision. It was one of those guns that had been fired a few times and kept stored safe and sound in the closet -- not a scratch on it!:(

Back