Colt Trooper III cylinder play

longfellow

My nearly new Trooper III, bought new by me, has more cylinder movement in lockup, both rotationally and fore/aft, than any of my other DA revolvers. It's been there since new and isn't really way out (for technical geeks and engineers like myself we are talking about 5-8 mils) but maybe not something on a revolver that one might want to use for bullseye competition (which is what I'd like to do). So the question is, before I go down the (lengthy) road experimenting with loads/bullets and all the variables normally associated with the process, I want to know if other Trooper owners have noticed this and whether it has hindered those guns from achieving great accuracy (My K-38 with a fair amount of load development can now easily do one inch, twenty-five yard machine rested groups with the right HBWC sized correctly).
Thanks.

I have a couple Pythons and they lock up rock solid. The Trooper MK III I believe uses a different system so I have no idea if that would be normal or not. One other place to check would be the Colt Forum. There are many people there who could give you the answer to almost anything Colt related.

For cylinder end shake the Colt factory spec is for no more then 0.003".
Anything over that requires repair.

To measure, push the cylinder to the rear and hold it there as you gage the barrel-cylinder gap with an auto feeler gage.
Then push the cylinder forward and hold it as you gage again.
The difference is how much end shake you have.

Continuing to shoot a Colt after it's past 0.003" will batter the gun to death.

Unlike the S&W and Ruger's you cannot repair end shake in a Colt with washers. The repair involves using a special hydraulic tool that squeezes the collar on the front of the cylinder with a hardened steel support stud inside the cylinder hole.
Few to no gunsmiths ever had that device, and unfortunately Colt has shut down most older revolver repairs.

I can recommend Frank Glenn in Arizona. He's a Master Colt qualified pistolsmith who does work to factory standards.
His price and turn around is excellent and members on the Colt Forum who use him give him top recommendations.

http://glenncustom.com/

As for rotational movement of the cylinder revolvers like the S&W, Ruger, Dan Wesson and newer models of Colt's like the Mark III and later work very differently then the older models of the Colt's.
In the older Colt's like the Detective Special, Python etc when the trigger is pulled the cylinder is forced into a tight non-movable lockup and held there.
Within reason the harder the trigger is pulled the tighter it's locked. (Don't over do it, you can damage the action).
The old Colt actions are checked for tight lock up by pulling and holding the trigger back while checking the cylinder for any rotational movement.
There should be none.

Other guns like the S&W, Ruger, etc and the later Colt's like the Mark III the cylinder is deliberately allowed to be loose with the trigger pulled.
This is to allow the bullet passing from the chamber to the barrel to force the chamber into alignment with the barrel.
For that reason the cylinder is specifically designed to allow the needed looseness.

Even in a gun that seems to lock tightly, there's still enough backlash built into the action to allow the needed movement.
In these guns holding the trigger back is not a valid test for anything.

How much looseness is allowed in the cylinder with the action cocked or uncocked is not a factory spec for Colt or S&W.
The test is; Is the revolver accurate, and does it spit bullet metal.
If it's accurate and not spitting, it's good.

So, in your case is end shake over 0.003", is it inaccurate, and is it spitting bullet metal?
If any of these are the case, you need to talk to Frank Glenn.

Excellent summary.
Thank you very much.
I just measured end play and it is .003 so given that I am the original owner and know how many rounds are through the gun, suspect that this is exactly where it is supposed to be.

Yes, they do seem to have a little more play than another fine gun. But the post above is correct as I have read it many times.
A little play doesn't matter anyway, the bullet will align as it enters the barrel.

Back