Colt Single Action Revolver

kv4v

I removed the cylinder pin locking bolt on my Colt revolver and forgot which side of the gun to put the bolt with the spring. Looking down on the top of the gun does it go in the left or right side. Thanks. Doc

This question couldn't have come at a better time for me. I recently purchased a 50's vintage Colt SAA, and in the course of my first range session, I noticed that the cylinder pin showed a tendency to back its way out during firing. It only takes one or two rounds fired to have this happen to a noticeable degree.

I put a few turns (not many) on the slotted screw portion of the cylinder pin locking bolt, but this didn't seem to have any effect on the problem.

Any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

The bolt and nut must be screwed together tight. Turning the bolt will have no effect since the lock bolt and nut will just turn in the frame without any effect on the base pin. You may need to replace the unit, the spring, or deepen the groove in the base pin.
Pins moving forward has always been a problem in Single Action Army's.

To tighten the bolt, use a screwdriver on the bolt, and a screwdriver with a notch in the middle to clear the end of the bolt on the nut side.

If tightening the bolt/nut doesn't help, replace the spring. If you still have problems, replace the entire unit.

Gun Parts Corp at www.e-gunparts.com
and Brownell's at www.brownells.com both have the needed parts.

Back