Colt Single Action Replicas

Howdy Kenneth,

Of the variuos SAA clones,the Cimmaron Model P and the EMF Hartford are generally regarded as the best of the lot,with the Cimmaron guns perhaps getting the nod as the best of the best. Fit and finish are excellent,and aftermarket parts and grips are plentiful.

Bellicose Bill

Really? Thanks! My only experience with Cimarron concerned a Schofield that, well, had some problems and a Walker that had a rusted barrel. Hum. Maybe I should give them another shot. Thanks!

Howdy Kenneth,

Was your Schofield an ASM?? These had known defects with the locking latch,and Cimmaron eventually went to the Uberti-made models.

If you have gunshop in your area that carries SAA replicas,try them out. EMF is making a "Competition" model now that has coil springs and other work done to it to make it more user friendly. Their Hartford Premier is their top-of-the-line pistol and is a nice gun. If you can go to a shoot,ask around and take a look at the various models.

Bellicose bill

I will!

One other question. Punishment, I guess, for being so helpful.

At the last Shot Show I saw the U.S. Firearms display. This gun, of course, isn't cheap but it did seem to me to be very well made.

My question is this. If one were going to go the cost of a Colt, which would you buy, Colt or U.S. Firearms? Truth is that the reason I stayed away from Colt is because of concerns about the quality of their workmenship.

Howdy Kenneth,

US Firearms has a very good reputation. If you can afford a Colt,and want a Colt,shop around for a 2nd Generation SAA. These are generally considered the best SAA Colt made. You are right about having reservations about the current crop of Colts.

USFA pistols are assembled right here in the US of A,and they seem to be well made,from the few I've seen.

Bellicose Bill

Hi Kenneth,

I have recently been looking at SAA clones. The EMF Hartford Models are made by ASM. I compared a Hartford Premier and a regular Hartford Model. The case-hardening on the Premier was much more attractive than the regular Hartford Model. However the lockup and cylinder fit on the 2 Premiers that I looked at didn't particularly impress me. I bought the regular Hartford Model, as the lockup was much tighter. I expect to use this pistol quite a bit, so the difference in the finishes wan't my prime concern. In general, I think the Uberti's tend to be better fitted than the ASM's. Cimmaron in particular does a very nice job of fitting and finishing their Uberti's. I couldn't find a Cimmaron or Uberti in .45 Colt, so I bought the best fitted ASM I could find.

The other SAA I got was a US Firearms .45 Colt. It was much more expensive than the ASM's or Uberti's, but I am VERY impressed by this pistol. The cylinder lockup has no discernible movement or endshake at all. The case-hardening is exquisite, and the stocks are a perfect fit. I believe the US Firearms are the closest thing to an earlier generation Colt built today. I am very pleased with mine, and will buy another from this company.

Hope this helps.

Doug Penrose

P.S. I see you are right up the road in Flag. Email me at dpenrose@simatics.com and we can make arrangements if you want to shoot and compare my Hartford Model and my US Firearms SAA. I have some friends in Flag and get up there fairly often.

[This message has been edited by Doug in PHX (edited March 15, 2000).]

Back