Colt Single Action Cylinder Pin

kv4v

I have a second generation Colt.45 single action revolver. The cylinder pin will not stay in place when the revolver is fired. It will work it way out until the rear of the cylinder is completly unsupported. How can I correct the problem? Thanks. Doc

You can tighten the spring loaded cylinder pin lock that has to be pressed to release the cylinder pin. The ends are screwed together and can be tightened by using the correct sized screwdrivers.

I have never liked the 2nd/3rd generation smokeless powder cylinder locking system, I like the original BP system of a screw thru the front of the frame. It may back out under recoil but in my experience it takes a while.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

In many cases the only solution (or at least partial solution) is a stronger spring in the cylinder pin latch. Sometimes the inner part needs to be reshaped to present a better locking surface to the cylinder pin.

HTH

Jim

Kv4V, I had a SA brought into the shop just the other day with the same complaint. It turned out that the owner had disassembled the pistol for cleaning and when he assembled the pin latch he put the spring on the wrong side of the frame. Once it was assembled correctly the problem disappeared. Just something you might check. It should be on the left side of the frame. George

Might want to think about one of the Belt Mountain Colt pins that Brownells sells. I use them in my Rugers and they do help accuracy and stay in place.

------------------

Kv4V,
I agree with George. I have had the same experience. Customer brings a SA in and says the cylinder pin won't stay in. He had installed the spring on the wrong side. Five minutes after I got the gun, he got it back. He has told me that he has had no more problems with this pistol. Jim

Wallew, you are an honest man. I know smiths who would have kept the gun a month or two and charged a hundred bucks.

Another Jim

You were right Jim. Regarding the cylinder pin on the single action Colt. I tightened the the screws and today I fired 50 rounds with no problem. I have had the revolver since 1969 so that means 31 years of operator error on my part. Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West

Back