Colt Series 70 Barrel Bushing

Lavan

I have heard many gunnies saying that the fingers on the series 70 Colts break off. I have never seen one broken. Even the guys who say they break haven't had a broken one.
Would anyone who has actually seen a broken one (from shooting) confirm this?

I have seen two Colt 70 series barrel bushungs fail. In each case one of the four "fingers" broke and the pistol was jammed requiring dis-assembly to clear. If you are going to use a Colt M1911 automatic for self defence and it has a "Finger" barrel bushing replace it with the original solid barrel bushing. John Browning knew what he was doing!

Ive experienced the problem with the finger breaking and the pistol had to be dismantled to fix.....While I still have a couple in the parts drawer, i only use the solid bushing, and for awhile experimented with the briley bushing,,,,,Had no problem s with it, but i sincerly believe in the kiss methodology,,,,,fubsy.

Thank you for the posts. Now....one further
question please. My gun is the Gold Cup.
Where can I get a solid bushing that will fit
the Gold Cup barrel? Do I need a new barrel also?

I hadn't heard of this one. Amazing isn't it, a classic reliable design "improved" by some bean counter to save maybe 1.50c. Leave it alone!!!

It makes yer puke....perhaps "they" should replace them ALL with solid bushings -FREE- like the Bill Ruger recall some years ago(and still in operation I am told) over his revolver safeties?

------------------
***Big Bunny***

Not having a Gold Cup, what is the difference between a "standard" 1911 barrel and a Gold Cup barrel? OD?
I would suggest either http://www.brownells.com
or http://www.dennysshooters.com
for barrel bushings, tell them the OD of your barrel and what you need, I am sure either can set you up with a good solid barrel bushing.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

The Series 70 bbl has a step-up in OD near the muzzle to work with the spring bushing. Think that would have to be turned down to work with a standard bushing. Or replaced with a straight OD bbl.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

No, you want the tapered turndown on the barrel, even with a standard bushing. That way once the gun is out of battery, the bushing has running clearance.

Brian

Thanks, Brian, I stand corrected! :)

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

This is a great website. Thanks for all the
advice. I have contacted Brownell's.
I await their reply.

Maybe I could thread the barrel for a Chevy lugnut and chamfer the slide to a press fit.
I could even market it as a barrel weight.
Send it to Magnaport and even have it relieved for a muzzle brake. Maybe braze on a bayonet lug too.
This could be big.

Back