Colt Series 70 .45 ACP - Slide won't lock back . . . ?

ralphtt

All of a sudden, the slide on my Series 70 .45 ACP won't lock back after firing the last shot in the magazine. Guess I should say, it usually won't lock back . . . on rare occasions it does lock back. :(

Happens with all types of magazines, whether Colt, Wilson, Rodgers, military, or Kimber. Was once very reliable, but something has obviously changed. Any pointers on what to look for or where to start much appreciated!

------------------
ralph

Life Member NRA

Take a look at the slide stop lever and slide notch, check for rounded corner on the slide stop lever and slide notch. also look at the inside of the slide stop lever at the point where the mag follower hits the slide stop maybe worn also.

Also check the cut in the slide where the slide stop engages. If this cut is round or all jaggy instead of straight, hoo boy, I wouldn't want to be you. Been there before.

Also, check the magazine follower to be sure it hasn't become bent down where it engages the slide stop. A new magazine spring will add more upward force on the mag follower and on up into the slide stop.

Good luck.

Check the slide stop carefully, and also the notch in the slide. Then remove the safety and pull out the safety plunger, the spring and the slide stop plunger. Clean and lube the tube (a pipe cleanerworks) and make sure the slide stop plunger is free and not rusted in or binding.

Jim

Thanks, fellows. Looks like I've some work to do.

Will get started on this troubleshooting and will keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

------------------
ralph

Life Member NRA

Back