Colt serial numbers

Thank you Jim; it appears the revolver began as a Colt Cobra Agent. Maybe it was returned for barrel work and they replaced it with a Det. Spl. Barrel.

Jim - Well, duh...boy do I feel dumb; yes it is steel.

I wonder if Colt just built a lot of D frames and threw them in a box, and 2", 3" and 4" barrels, and then just built a "kit gun" from all the parts? Why would a steel D frame get marked with a SN meant for an alum. D frame? Maybe it was built on a Monday....

Colt is not real careful about such stuff. My ACE .22 is numbered like a .45. They sent out a lot of early Combat Commanders with Commander Model marked slides. Etc.

Mystery solved! Operator error, I feel even dumber... The SN on the frame inside the crane is:
B0XXXX
I assumed the 4 was part of the SN. Rechecking proof house and Colt look up, the revolver is indeed a Police Positive / Detective Special made in 1970

The 4 must be a model or series number.

I want to thank all of you who tried to help lead me. I got my tongue over my eye tooth and couldn't see what I was saying.

The "4" under the serial number is a Colt inspectors stamp.
It's the final inspectors mark.

There will also be the assemblers stamp on the left-rear of the trigger guard web, and the Colt Verified Proof stamp of a tiny "VP" in a triangle on the left-front of the trigger guard web.

Back