Colt SAA

Drm50

Just got a nice unfired Gen 2 SAA 5.5” Colt. It is never been fired but has some blems. It’s also WVa commemoration model. Not what I really wanted but price was right. I haven’t had a Colt SAA since back in 60s when they were $179, twice the price of Ruger Blackhawk.
What I really wanted was 4.5” 45, second generation. The 3rd gens don’t seem to have the fit and finish of older models. I think biggest percent were sold as collector commemoratives and live in safes unfired anyway. Shooter grade Colt SAAs are rare on the market, but prices aren’t rare they are all crazy. Personally will be happy with this one unless a West Virginian with a 4.5” wants to trade. I gonna shoot it tomarrow. If I can’t shoot it I don’t want it. Luckily got north of 2500 45Colts loaded up. Most wadcutters or 250cast RNFP like original and loaded factory duplication. A couple hundred SWC cast and same in JHPs. No barn burners, loaded for S&W 25-3, 25-5s and Colt New Service. Only CF revolver I’ve got left is 3screw Ruger SBH. Don’t know why I wanted a SAA, old timer disease I guess,

I have a 1st Gen, must load black powder or equivalent for it, so it doesn't see much range time.
It's a 5.5", and since I don't do any fast draw, prefer the slightly longer sight radius over shorter barrels, and if I were going to get another one, would go for the long cavalry barrel.
Contrary to gushing observations of "natural pointing", I find the single action grip to be very strange and hard to adapt to, if you are accustomed to shooting literally anything else.

Contrary to gushing observations of "natural pointing", I find the single action grip to be very strange and hard to adapt to, if you are accustomed to shooting literally anything else.

I think the "natural pointing" comes from the time when there was literally nothing else (that wasn't a single shot muzzle loader). Everybody is different I've had guns that hit right where I pointed them without using the sights. And many others that hit right where I wanted ONLY when I used the sights.

Since I prefer to hit my targets, I don't do a lot of point shooting, and therefore, where a pistol "naturally" points is of little concern to me.

As the the grip of a Single Action revolver, this is my experience:

When making my draw, my hand goes to the butt of my Single Action, my fingers naturally curl around the grip, my trigger finger naturally falls on the trigger, and my thumb rests on the hammer spur, just as it hand and gun butt were designed for each other. As I lift the gun clear of the holster, my thumb cocks the hammer, and when the gun comes level, my finger presses the trigger.

This in a dire situation.

Bob Wright

I think the "natural pointing" comes from the time when there was literally nothing else (that wasn't a single shot muzzle loader). Everybody is different I've had guns that hit right where I pointed them without using the sights. And many others that hit right where I wanted ONLY when I used the sights.

Since I prefer to hit my targets, I don't do a lot of point shooting, and therefore, where a pistol "naturally" points is of little concern to me.
Natural pointability has a dramatic effect on how long it takes to find the sights in order to use them. Like Colt, JMB went to a lot of effort to make his famous designs as ergonomic and natural pointing as possible.

Hitting stuff point shooting is a matter of practice.

Like Colt, JMB went to a lot of effort to make his famous designs as ergonomic and natural pointing as possible.

And yet, I've read some "experts" (including famous ones) say the 1911 "naturally points low", and "Lugers are natural pointers", and so on....I think it is an individual thing.

Hitting stuff point shooting is a matter of practice.
Hitting anything is a matter of practice! ;):D

"And yet, I've read some "experts" (including famous ones) say the 1911 "naturally points low", and "Lugers are natural pointers", and so on....I think it is an individual thing."

You might be right. However I have several 1911s in the 1911 and 1911A1 configurations and the 1911s with the original grip style do have a tendency to shoot low for me. I have to remember to slightly cock my wrist up a bit when shooting the original style 1911s.

On the third generation Colt SAAs, gun write Mike Venturino said he though the third generation guns just might be the best ones ever. I have one first gen gun that looks rough but is quite tight and locks up well very solid gun that letters to 1908. It a .45 Colt, 5.5" barrel. All my other Colt's are .45s with the exception of one in .44 Spl. All my other Colt SAAs are third gen guns, two with 7.5" barrel and one 4.75" barrel. The .44 has a 5.5" barrel.A short note on the 4.75" gun, whoever had it before me was apparently into fast draw and he was no gunsmith. Somebody should have taken his files away from him. The trigger pull is way too light to even measure and I'm guessing it's only a very few ounces. The hammer will drop from the full, half and safety notch positions with a barely touched trigger. It has served a good purpose during the time I did Hunter Ed classes describing what should not be done to a fine firearm. Yes, I do take it out and shoot it but I am fully aware of its problem.
Paul B.

And yet, I've read some "experts" (including famous ones) say the 1911 "naturally points low", and "Lugers are natural pointers", and so on....I think it is an individual thing.

Not really. I've heard a lot of people complain about the grip angle of a Glock, pretty much none about the angle of a 1911, until just now.

Hold your arm straight out with your wrist straight. Make a fist. Look at the angle of your knuckles. I'll bet it's much closer to the angle of a 1911 than that of the Luger.

A post-WWI evaluation of the M1911 resulted in the change to the arched mainspring housing in the '20s, to counter "points low".
The tiny sights certainly encourage pointing rather than aiming, after shooting arched housings for decades, a 1911 with flat housing does point low for me, but doubt that there's anything "natural" about it, either way; put 50k-100k rounds through a gun, and it will probably feel natural, and nothing else will point exactly the same.

I started out early as a kid with Ruger S-6 in early 60s. Never was into fast draw, cowboy style. I do like holsters with exposed triggers. I hunted a lot and the Ruger SA & Colts were natural pointers for me. Switched to S&W K22 and although much more accurate wasn’t a natural pointer. Haven’t found an auto pistol that is natural pointer either.
You here a lot of talk from shotgunners about fit of gun. It’s the same in a hunting rifle. If you are shooting targets don’t make much difference. If you are shooting running or flying game it makes a lot of difference.
I’ve spent a lot of time when I was younger following Edd McGiverns instructions in his book
Fast & Fancy. Before you can follow through shooting targets out of the air you need to get a handgun that points naturally for you. Edd McGivern, Bob Munden all shot hand to eye coordination at thrown targets, they didn’t stop to bead them.
Still use the Ruger S-6 if I’m playing around instinct shooting. All my experience with this type of shooting is with a 22.

..put 50k-100k rounds through a gun, and it will probably feel natural, and nothing else will point exactly the same.

I'm not certain if you mean for this number to be taken literally or not.

Seriously, do you mean 50,000 -100,000 rounds through one single gun??? :confused:

I find the SAA a pretty natural hold for me. Seems barrel length has a lot to do with how it "hangs."
I got that SAA New Frontier and got a SAA that puts the bullet holes right at the top of the front sight.
I do like the adjustable sights. :)

I shoot so many handguns and seem to "find" the correct hold pretty quickly.

new-frontier-2.jpg

the Colt SAA are awesome revolvers I am sure you will love it. I do admit I like the feel of the Bistley grips better but that is just personal preference.

I hope you love shooting it!

..put 50k-100k rounds through a gun, and it will probably feel natural, and nothing else will point exactly the same.
I'm not certain if you mean for this number to be taken literally or not.

Seriously, do you mean 50,000 -100,000 rounds through one single gun???

I have over 70k rounds through my two most-shot 1911s, and they certainly feel natural to me. Of course, I chose the 1911 because it felt natural the first time I shot it.

Back