Colt SAA

Classic12

Finally bought my first Colt Single Action Army. Made in 1979, 7 1/2” barrel, .45 Colt caliber, colour cased. Looks almost new except for a couple of small handling marks. Paid $ 1300 which I think is reasonable, most of them here (Switzerland) are advertised for quite a bit more.

ed7981240d3cd023d4390a6034c35755.jpg

2fbd0cb460640540343fd19e261fbc60.jpg

c8b6eaeaad43586df4e6d842ac46c8c4.jpg

abbbe6c440646925594845eca7a08a58.jpg

9bd056981c8d808eac4410c9a6b61970.jpg

6876f18dd4bde24bee7a90de8a212113.jpg

1aecbfdc526931fbff85d036d5c2f19e.jpg

And I already have a few boxes of ammo for it

4df4fa3e10a281aa2ff0bee3907fd106.jpg

You got the real thing, at a good price, and YOU GOT AMMO!
Well done. You may find that 7 1/2 barrel just seems to point itself.

Howdy

Very nice. Beautiful case colors. Keep it out of direct sunlight and do not subject it to harsh chemicals because they can cause the colors to fade.

No turn line. To avoid getting a turn line, never lower the hammer from half cock. If the hammer is lowered from half cock, the bolt will rise and be pressing against the cylinder. Any subsequent motion of the cylinder will cause the bolt to rub against the cylinder, which is what causes a turn line. Always lower the hammer from full cock, which keeps the bolt engaged in the cylinder locking slots without it pressing against the body of the cylinder.

When loading, set the hammer to half cock, load one, skip one, load four more, close the loading gate, and bring the hammer to full cock and lower it carefully. An empty chamber will be under the hammer. Practice doing this a bunch of times until it becomes second nature.

That's quite a collection of old 45 Colt ammo. I have a couple of boxes like the ones on the left that I bought back in the 1970s. Not sure when the other boxes were made, but none of it is new.

By the way, you done good on the3 price.

Your Colt is a 3rd Generation. The 3rd Gen started in 1976. In 1978 Colt changed serial numbers from the 2nd Gen SA suffix to the SA Prefix. Early 3rd Gens did not have a removable cylinder bushing, it was press fit into the cylinder. Later they went back to the traditional removable cylinder bushing. Is your cylinder bushing fixed to the cylinder or is it removable? Just curious.

Beautiful colt. You done good on that price too. By the way, im still jealous of all that ammo you have collected. Very nice find. Enjoy!

Howdy

Very nice. Beautiful case colors. Keep it out of direct sunlight and do not subject it to harsh chemicals because they can cause the colors to fade.

No turn line. To avoid getting a turn line, never lower the hammer from half cock. If the hammer is lowered from half cock, the bolt will rise and be pressing against the cylinder. Any subsequent motion of the cylinder will cause the bolt to rub against the cylinder, which is what causes a turn line. Always lower the hammer from full cock, which keeps the bolt engaged in the cylinder locking slots without it pressing against the body of the cylinder.

When loading, set the hammer to half cock, load one, skip one, load four more, close the loading gate, and bring the hammer to full cock and lower it carefully. An empty chamber will be under the hammer. Practice doing this a bunch of times until it becomes second nature.

That's quite a collection of old 45 Colt ammo. I have a couple of boxes like the ones on the left that I bought back in the 1970s. Not sure when the other boxes were made, but none of it is new.

By the way, you done good on the3 price.

Your Colt is a 3rd Generation. The 3rd Gen started in 1976. In 1978 Colt changed serial numbers from the 2nd Gen SA suffix to the SA Prefix. Early 3rd Gens did not have a removable cylinder bushing, it was press fit into the cylinder. Later they went back to the traditional removable cylinder bushing. Is your cylinder bushing fixed to the cylinder or is it removable? Just curious.

Thank you for all the valuable advice

I took it to the 25 meter indoor range and shot about 70 rounds in two different sessions. Tried one-handed and two-handed, one-handed being quite difficult for me since I’ve hardly ever shot like that in the last 30 years. It shoots a bit left for me, not much I can do about it except aiming right.

Not a precision or match gun but lots of fun though

099633fd22490524abcb501e61d7643a.jpg

77fc09f85c2dcf11cb241c97a8cade5e.jpg

754ba52f634a7a9fe5ac1635b1ff67f8.jpg

0fcce742c326d2186017ee04fbbb3ea2.jpg

Very nice !
I think the Colt SAA is one of best looking handguns ever built ...
and yours is Drop Dead Gorgeous !
Thanks for posting photo's ... and it's a good shooter to boot !
Gary

I'm officially very green right now.
That gun has always been on my wish list.
SAA colts like yours are going for upwards of $2,500. here. And all that ammo! Quite the prize there! Congratulations. You have official bragging rights.:D

Beautiful Colt at a great price, congratulations!

My .357 is also from 1979.

Attachments

• FBC88F1E-7E7C-4FCA-A3F1-8093C23DAA31.jpeg
    FBC88F1E-7E7C-4FCA-A3F1-8093C23DAA31.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 15
Howdy

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess most of your handgun shooting experience is with adjustable sights. Very generally speaking, if one is right handed, shots hitting to the left are typical if one is not using good trigger technique. Make sure you are pulling the trigger with the pad of your trigger finger, pretty much under the nail. Do not place the trigger in the crease of the first joint. Even though that may feel more natural, pulling the trigger with the finger placed in the crease will tend to push shots to the left for a righty. Our fingers are really not able to pull straight back. The only thing we can do is curl our finger to pull the trigger. If the trigger is resting in the crease under the joint of the trigger finger, that will tend to push the muzzle slightly to the left when firing. Pulling the trigger with the pad of the finger allows us to pull the trigger a little bit straighter than in the crease.

I can tell you whenever I buy a used revolver with adjustable sights, the rear sight is almost always cranked over a little bit to the right, to make up for poor trigger technique.

That Colt should be able to put your bullets exactly where you want, if you do your part.

Back