Colt SAA ID Questions?

ames65

Inactive
Howdy!

Although I’m not new to firearms, I am new to this forum and old Single Action revolvers. Forgive me if I’m starting a new thread that’s been covered.

I just inherited a couple of older Colt 1873 SAA’s and had questions on some of the tool/inspector marks found on one; as well as its origin(s).

The front frame serial number, 58030, puts it in the 1st Gen range (1880), and it’s definitely a .44-40...but there are some inconsistencies that are leaving me to scratch my head. Because this was the most detailed forum site I searched, I was hoping someone could share what they might know about these numbers & markings.

Odd:
*Frame serial number (beneath cylinder) doesn’t match-up to number under the grips on frame
*Also, no matching S/N on bottom of grip frame
*”COLT FRONTIER” without the “SIX SHOOTER”
*I know the stag grips are not original, but I’m also doubtful the current patina being original as well.
(I just put in a request to Colt Archives too)

I have a couple WW2 era 1911A1- Rebuilds, so I’m thinking that’s possibly what I’m looking at here...a rebuild? Thanks for any insight...

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0556(1).PNG
    IMG_0556(1).PNG
    136.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0557(1).PNG
    IMG_0557(1).PNG
    145.3 KB · Views: 60
...more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0553.PNG
    IMG_0553.PNG
    146.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0554(2).PNG
    IMG_0554(2).PNG
    134.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0555(2).PNG
    IMG_0555(2).PNG
    131.9 KB · Views: 58
...a few more, sorry. Wasn't aware of attachment limits.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.png
    IMG_0543.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0560(1).PNG
    IMG_0560(1).PNG
    170.2 KB · Views: 50
The barrel is a lot newer then the rest of the gun, Early 1900s I think.
The number inside the loading gate is an assembly number, not related to the serial.
The on frame number, under the grips, is from a New Frontier?
Somebody buffed the hell out of the frame.
I'll do some look ups later, see if I can find more
It was built, originally as a .44, buy the trigger guard stamp.

Are those peen marks where barrel and frame meet normal?

No.

The barrel has been cut down from the forcing cone end, which is quite unusual. That is why the markings Frontier Six Shooter on the side of the barrel and Colts Patented Firearms on top of the barrel are incomplete. The end of the barrel was then rethreaded to attach it to the frame. The 'peen marks' look to me to be registration marks the 'smith' put on the frame and barrel to help him line them up. The marks do not line up, there could be several explanations for that.

The Serial Number on the backstrap shows it came from a New Frontier (the model with adjustable sights) made in 1964.

1880 is correct for the serial number on the frame.

I agree, somebody buffed the dickens out of it, probably prior to a refinish job. Looks like it is nickel plated.

Thanks Driftwood. That was my 2nd thought about the barrel, after it abruptly cuts off after the “MFG...” Makes sense now. My godfather (whom I inherited from) was on the set of a couple westerns (as an extra), and was involved with a number of re-enactments in Texas; so to me, it looked more “prop-ish” with its patina and stag grips. Good info...

Back