Colt SA grips fit on this EMF?

HighValleyRanch

Just got this one back from my aging father. I gave it to him many years ago as a gift. It's virtually unfired. In .44 special caliber, an EMF "Great Western" II California model as far as I've researched. A pretty close clone of the Colt 1873 2nd generation. Anything you can tell me about this model would be greatly appreciated.

So can those black colt repro grips fit on this grip frame?
From what research I've done, these are close to the 2nd and 3rd generation Colt frames.

The action feels pretty nice, now that I got it all clean out again. My dad had it sitting in his cowboy room for years with little to no maintenance and the oil has gotten stiff over the years, and the action had to be freed up.

Those are some funky steerhead grips I carved for my Hawes Western Marshall for now.

.44 Special is very hard to find around here, so haven't been able to shoot it. Might have to invest in some brass and bullets and just reload for it.

The case hardened frame is very nice looking, so I plan on keeping it in the family. Its much lighter than the .357 Hawes!

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05114.JPG
    DSC05114.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 387
Colt SAA grips, even today, are pretty
much hand fitted so you have just got
to try and see.

The SAA grip frames were not uniform
and so hand fitting was pretty much
a must.

Ditto the story taking Colt grips and
fitting them to another gun maker's
product.

Somewhere I've seen a photo of a Uberti Flat Top fitted with black hard rubber Colt Eagle grips. The poster stated "slight fitting" was required.

I have been musing over doing the same.

Bob Wright

All Colt SAA grips need fitting to the frame as is the case with most replicas for a proper and attractive fit. New grip panels are produced oversized so Colt can adjust accordingly.

Back