Colt revolvers

Classic12

Well here’s another pictorial from the «confined at home and the ranges are closed» series, the Colt revolvers I acquired over the years. Only one was bought new, the 4’’ blue Python, back in 1997.

1976 - Lawman Mk III

ea1808d2a3b761dbc84511a8a5c1ad5e.jpg

19b6696ed5af742b2f165fdd9bd22ee1.jpg

1973 - Diamondback .22 lr

a8578fbae63a91bf464e4a6f215f0dbd.jpg

e0d5c336c0d22c1afabbac9dd388311a.jpg

1975 - Diamondback .38 spl

ac7d08dafa82b1b0a61dc29ce75d1dc2.jpg

df04c158634f4ab9ebb79f04f9651f33.jpg

Simply beautiful colts!!
I have two colt revolvers- a trooper Mark 3 and a officer match, but they are both well worn- yours are beautiful, thanks for sharing pics

Back in the 80’s, I was hosting a hunting trip to south Texas, and one of my guests pulled out the loveliest revolver I had ever seen. I asked what it was, and it was a Colt Diamondback in 22 LR. I immediately started searching gun shows for one. Found it, bought it, and will never sell it.

About that same time, I sold my Colt Trooper Mk5 and bought a Python. Seems like I paid about $350 for each of them.

Very nice. I have a few Colt revolvers myself; Cobras, King Cobras and a Detective Special. I'm on the hunt for a decent Python right now. Would like to have both an old and new model version.

Anyway, I had no idea the Python Silhouette was a thing until I saw this post.

Learn something new every day.

My Colt revolvers lean towards the more experienced (they ain't old, jess 'sperienced) end; New Service, Army Special, Police Positive and the youngster a shrouded Detective Special.

This is the first revolver I ever bought as a youngster:

000_47871-2.jpg

I bought it mail order from an ad in a magazine, price listed was $24.95, or $32.95 in excellent condition. It was a .45 Colt New Service, formerly a .455 Eley from the Canadian Mounties. I shot it for awhile as a .45 Colt, then had it converted to .44 Special. I had a machine shop install the S& W rear sight, and a gun shop install the Micro ramp front sight and reblue the entire gun. Using some scrap walnut I had on hand,. I made the target stocks. The gun was stolen from a gunsmith's shop in 1972, and I got a Ruger Blawkhawk .41 Magnum to replace it. Afterward I went through several M1917 Colts.

I've gone through several Colt double action revolvers since then, now all my Colts are Single Action revolvers, mostly New Frontiers.

Bob Wright

P.S. As a side note, when starting my custom work, I went to a local gunsmith for the S&W rear sight. "Can't be done," he told me and dismissed me. I figured he just didn't want to fool with me, as he was a highly acclaimed 'smith, building custom rifles for African hunters. So I made a sketch of what I wanted and went to a machine shop owned by an old German machinist. I took him my gun and my drawing and showed it to him, and he said, in a thick accent, "You come back T'ursday." The charge was $60.

Remembering that episode years later, I went to drafting school, learned the trade and spent the next forty years in the engineering field!

Last edited:
Back