Colt revolvers

oldknotty

Just got back from my local pawn shop , and while browsing i saw three sets of colt revolvers .They were all .36 cal and looked really well taken care of . One was a navy octagonal barrel alone for $500 + the second was the same revolver but in a presentation set with all the kit pieces all in A+ condition for $580 the third was a presentation set with one of each revolver in excellent condition but it was $1090 . What do you guys think of these prices , good , average or high ?? I was thinking purchasing one as the rifle I want seems to be out of my grasp at the moment and the money is burning a hole in my pocket LOL
Martin

If they're second gens the prices are really good. If they're third gen signature series the prices are on the top end.

They seem pretty old ,not originals mind but old and yes they are all colts made by Colt .Maybe assembled from italian parts in the USA i am not knowledgeable enough to know , or what generation they are .All i can say for certain is that are named as Colts in the USA on them and they are in good nick in presentation boxes
Martin

Can't help without more information but personally, I think it all depends on what you want to do with them? Are you looking to "collect"? If so, then do your research on them - as Hawg says - it depends on what series they are.

Personally, if I was looking at getting something to shoot, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on one to shoot when you can buy a new Pietta at $200.00 that will be just fine to shoot and have fun with - or spend a little more on a Uberti to shoot. I have both Piettas and Ubertis and both are good shooters.

At $500 for the pawn shop pistol and $200 for a new Pietta navy - you'd have a difference of $300 that would get you plenty of powder and caps to last a lot of years as well as a casting outfit to cast your own for whatever rifles/pistols you have.

Just a thought . . . . :)

edited to say: Be sure you buy one that doesn't need any work, as your first BP six shooter. ;)

Last edited:
Third gens have Sam Colt's signature on the back strap. They were made under license from Colt but Colt had nothing to do with the manufacture. Second gens were made from parts supplied by Uberti but Colt did the final fitting and finishing. Second gens are considered by collectors to be real Colt's but third gens are not. That's not to say third gens aren't nice guns because they are but IMHO the difference isn't worth the price. I agree with Bedbug, if you want a gun to shoot get a Pietta or Uberti. If you're not familiar with them don't buy one that needs work. They're not hard to work on but for a first gun I'd want one that works out of the box.

you'd have a difference of $300 that would get you plenty of powder and caps to last a lot of years...

LOL. I just bought 5 pounds of Goex FFF for about $150. I go through that in about 6 months. :)

Steve

Back