Colt Revolver Timing Question

Tom B

I keep reading about how Colts get out of time a lot vs Smith or Ruger. Can someone explain to me in a technical sense why that is or is it an urban legend?

Obviously, you haven't examined many Colts vs. S&W or Ruger used guns. It is NOT an urban myth. One reason why Colt designed the MK. III was because of police complaints of timing problems.

I've owned Colts from the M1917 to Pythons, and all were soon out-of-time. I used to hang out a lot at a gun shop where I did a lot of trading, and handled many guns of all major makes. The Colts really do have timing problems more often. As to why, it's a matter of mechanical design. The basic (pre-Mk.III) action was designed about 1889, and not really improved beyond 1908, with the Army Special. Actually, I think the Improved New Service of 1905 had all the refinements, as did the Police Positive Special of 1907. Colt just never cared enough to redesign their action after it became apparent that S&W had the better action. Ruger used some S&W principles, as has Taurus. Patents had long since expired.
However, I personally think the Single-Action Army may hold its timing better than their D.A. guns. Or, maybe I've just not found many worn ones. Of course, the SAA has a diferent design.

I believe one gun writer does attribute this matter to "urban myth" rumors. But this guy seems to be a little out-of-time, himself, in my opinion, and likes to say things that keep the gun companies happy! There's a lot of that in the magazine business...

Lone Star

Back