Colt revolver question. Compare to Ruger?

BoneDigger

A local shop has NIB Colt "Cowboy" revolvers for $570. I thought all modern Colts SA revolvers were in the $1000 range. I presently have a Ruger Vaquero, 45 LC. Is there any real reason to trade the Ruger in for a Colt? I know that the colt is more authentic, but the Ruger shoots great. He also has a used Vaquero for $350, SS, 4 3/4 barrel, that I am considering.

Would you splerge on the colt, or is the Vaquero just as good?

Todd

The only reason to buy a Colt is to get the name recognition, and that also gives you a better re-sale value when you do sell it some day. You can ask for almost full price for one. I nearly got full price for my Colt AR-15 rifle. I used that money to buy a Pedersoli Sharps 1859 Infantry rifle.

As for quality I have not heard that Colts are any better than Rugers. Both are top notch, and I would say there is no clear winnner if that is all you care about, so stick with the Ruger.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that the COLT COWBOY is a "badge engineered" Italian clone of a SAA. I read something about this in a mag a couple of years back...I personally would not trade my Ruger sa's for Ubertis or Piettas. ChuckD

Back