COLT Rail vs KIMBER Pro Raptor ?

DAKA

Still "researching" 1911's, these 2 are about the same price...the upper limit of what I want to spend...which, in your "opinion" is a "better" gun?
OR, is it NOT necessary to spend $1100.....for a "good" gun?

I have a couple of Colts both are reliable and accurate, so from your two choices I would pick the Colt. If you feel like you really need the rail you might also look at some of the guns from Springfield Armory. If you decide the rail isn't required look at the Colt Competition Series.

Colt makes an excellent 1911 for the money. If you are not set on a getting a gun with a rail I'd take a good look at the competition series or a Combat Elite.

Kimber makes a pretty gun, but other manufacturers make better guns in the same price range

my question is are you familiar with the 1911, if so go with a good colt or springfield,.... only reason I ask is before you put big dollars in one make sure its what you want cause there is some a little lower in price that are also good.

Have owned Kimbers and Colts. Still have all the Colts. Parted with the Kimbers. Nice looking but not the same quality as the Colts IMO.

I'm reading into the OP some assumptions:

-spending $1100 gives some assurance a given 1911 will be "good". This may or not have some truth to it. I've spent $1100 on one 1911 (Doublestar; DON'T BUY) which needed another $1000 to become reliable.

-Colt and Kimber are "good" brands. I've had both brands and I've had problems with both. Regardless of brand, any specific 1911 may have problems, regardless of brand (imo; no, I've not owned every brand). A 1911 may need to go back for warranty work on its first day out of the box; another 1911 may not need work for a few thousand rounds.

I think, if someone can:
-do some research as the OP is doing; there are certainly more brands than Kimber and Colt.
-spending a certain amount of money may translate into the buyer getting certain features (examples: a railed frame; night sights; grips).
-or might it be better to get two Rock Island Armory 1911 guns and have a spare if & when one needs to be sent somewhere for service/warranty work/repair?

I'm hearing very good quality and service, should anyone need later service, from Wilson-Combat. Wilson's guns are much more than $1100, however.

Does someone have to spend at least $1100 on a 1911? No.
Will $1100 guarantee a "good" 1911? No.

A 1911-expert once stated the 1911 is an aficionado's gun. I tend to agree.

There was no mention of what the OP's experience is; how the 1911 might be used; and any further expectations of this potential 1911.

Here's an article from 10-8 Performance (among others to read) which may help in a decision. It's written for someone or an agency in selecting a 1911 for duty-use, but can pertain to an individual just getting into the 1911 world:

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/Choosing-a-1911-for-Duty-Use.html

I wouldn't buy a new one from either, save up a little more and buy one that isn't such a crap shoot. I will say after shooting a bunch of both over the last 20 years the Kimbers have often been the more accurate 1911 out of the two. :confused:

Well, I had a friend bring his Remington to the range for me to try yesterday..It cured me from wanting a 1911, I brought my Springfield XD Mod 2 .45 to compare...
The 1911 weighs a ton, and as a comparison the XD felt better to me...no problems with the 1911 it's just too heavy, and I thought that the recoil would be less as it's heavier, but there was little difference to me.

I wouldn't buy a new one from either, save up a little more and buy one that isn't such a crap shoot.

Any Colt 1911 built over the last 10 years or so is bound to be good and is not likely to be a "crap shoot". When Colt adopted CNC manufacturing of their 1911s, QC went up dramatically. The Colts are also made of better materials than Kimbers and have better QA as well.

I've only owned 1 Kimber, a Pro Carry II. Based on that 1 gun I'd go Kimber. No doubt about Colt but I prefer Kimber.

I would seriously look at a Rock Island 45... well built and great customer service ... garrenteed for life... customizable down the road if you wish to do so

Back