Colt Python Redux

Elvis

I've heard Colt will bring back the Python for a limited run. I'm leanin' in the direction of putting one in my collection. Since I'm quite sure one will cost as much as one of my gold records, what would be your rendition of this idea? What is the benefit of this gun? Detriment(s)?

Like I said before, I was treated just like one of the boys...,
E

Hey Elvis,

I just picked up a 6" Python Elite yesterday at a local gun shop. I traded a blue 6" Python made in 1975 for it. The cash price was $975. The factory test target is dated March 2001. My new Python Elite is a beautiful gun! There has been a lot said about spotty quality control on the newer Pythons. I think it is put together better than the one I traded for it. Fit and finish are excellent. The tolerences are tighter. Headspace on the Elite is a uniform .004 with endshake set at .001. My blued Python BC gap was .075 with .002 of endshake. The problem is my new Elite is so nice I'm hesitant to shoot it. I'll get past that and have it out to the range soon. Having said that I feel Pythons are overpriced and you're paying in part for the name, but my collection wouldn't be complete without one.

Randy

The disadvantage: Cost. People who hate Colts.

The advantage: Probably the most accurate gun you will ever have. My 6" is the most accurate I've ever had. Many years ago, a truly great pistol shooter, (who's name I stupidly can't remember just now, but who was known as "The human Machine Rest") test fired my Python at Camp Peary. It grouped one ragged hole at 50 yards. He turned to me and said, "Par for a Python, God I love'em". Several years later he went on a sponsered hunt on a Texas game ranch for a gun magazine. He got his deer at 100 yards with a 4 inch Python. Viturally ever gun test conducted on a Python gets simular results. Yes, you will be told all about Pythons that won't shoot. I've never seen one, and I've seen many Pythons over the years.

A true classic design which every revolver maker in the world has basicly copied.

Considered the true Rolls Royce of guns, probably the finest production revolver ever made. HIGH quality. (Yes there have been spotty production problems, but on the whole less than any other guns, which ALSO have production problems).

An incredibly smooth, fine trigger pull, (different from other guns, but great).

The cachet of owning a legend.

If Colt brings it back (fairly certain) 6" barrels and blue finishes are more 'traditional'. But in my oppinion, the bright stainless looks better, since I doubt Colt can match the old "Royal Blue" from years past.

If you can, a better option may be to buy an older Colt. Many are being advertised on http://www.gunauction.com, and http://www.gunsamerica.com. GunsAmerica is a straight purchase, not auction, so you may like to make a buy outright.

I own or have owned 5 Python's and never regreted any. All were top of the line.

Thanks guys, for replying. Yesterday I talked to a gal at Colt and she said their "limited run" will be out in September of this year. I can't wait! You know, I've heard a lot of negative things said/written about the Python, but I can't recall anyone who has ever owned one making such comments. You get what you pay for, and I am willing to pay the premium for a great handgun. I just can't wait...did I write that already?

What ammo works best in a Python? I'd like to use heavier bullets for wilderness protection. I live in bear country, and I hunt in Rocky Mountain states, so a good stout bullet would be preferred? I just can't wait! How long 'til September?

Didn't Elvis own a Python? Since he was the best, he probably owned the best. Probably had a dozen of 'em, at least. What did you think was in that jumpsuit?

Until we meet you again...,
E

The "Human Machine Rest" was a handle frequently attached to Bill Blankenship, Army shooter, National Bullseye Champion and later Colt Rep. I started looking for a 6" Python to replace one I foolishly sold twenty or so ago. Living in California it is difficult to find discontinued handgun models that you want as you cannot order them into the state but must locate an individual who has one for sale. I found a 4" model at about 95% that was built in the mid sixties, and later in the same week I located a 6" blue NIB specimen from 1968. I was able to buy both for less that I was offered a Python Elite for. Both are great guns, beautifully finished, with extremely nice actions. I won't be selling these.

Regards,
Marvin

Well, I just had my Elite at the range, after I tweaked the sight I was able to put 6 rounds in a half dollar sized group at 25 yards from a resting position. I was shooting Winchester Winclean 38 specials. That stuff lives up to its name! If I had a chance to buy a NIB Python from 68' at a descent price I'd grab it and keep it as a safe queen.

Randy

I hate to be a naysayer on this topic since I too love Pythons and I own a 4" blue made in the mid 70s. I have always heard that the Python is a supremly accurate gun and that too has been my experience. They are undoubtdly one of the prettiest handguns every made by any company. But guys they are not durable. When I went to FBI LEO Firearms Instructor School back in 1985, they told us 25 student LEO's that they had never had a Python make it through the entire two week course of fire. I for one didn't believe it and I just knew that the two Pythons that were in our class would come through with flying colors. Well I was wrong, they both broke the first week, one went badly out of time and started really spitting lead out the cylinder/forcing cone gap and for obvious safety reasons it was side lined. The other one later would not pass the basic revolver safety inspection, which in this case, meant it had to be side lined. The two cops borrowed Model 19's and finished their course of fire. Since that time my own Python has seen very little range time. Basiclly what they told us was that the Pyhon uses an 19th century lockwork which useses a "V" spring to power both the hammer and the trigger. This is one of the reasons that our Pythons have such sweet actions, but they are very easy to go out of time, especially with hot .357 loads. So for this reason, I shoot .38 wad cutters in mine when I do take it out of the vault. If I want to shoot hot loads, I will get one of my L or N frame Smiths or one of my Rugers.
I definitely and not saying not to buy the Python, but to take it easy on this fine handgun and to remember this gun uses the same type action, as the old Army Special, which Teddy Roosevelt used, when he charged up San Juan Hill in 1898.

7th

Thanks marvin, it was indeed Bill Blankenship who shot my Python. I couldn't believe somebody could shoot like that, and I still have that target on my wall.

Python lack of durability is a subject that has elements of truth, and a lot of anti-Colt hype. You'll find people that will tell you a Python won't go 100 rounds without breaking down. Then you'll find people like me who have over 12,000 rounds through one.

The Python is an old design and not as durable as newer ones. The weakness has to do with lack of a front cylinder support, and smaller, more delicate parts (bolt, and hand.)

The Colt is fitted like a swiss watch, with EVERY part serving at least 2 functions, often more. The critical contact surfaces are small, and CAN wear or be battered by abusive treatment.

However, if you take care of it and don't deliberately abuse it, they stay in tune pretty well.

Part of the Python's problems come from lack of qualified pistolsmiths. Too many people have python work done by people who just don't understand them.
From 1900 to the mid 1950's just about every cop in America used a Colt. The guns name said it: If you were uniformed
you used a Colt Official Police. Off duty or detective--Colt Detective Special. There were other brands, but I think Colt had a bigger market share than Glock does today.
If you were a civilian target shooter--Colt Officers Model.
The point is: every gunsmith knew all about Colt actions. Since Colt lost the police market, every 'smith knows all about S&W or Ruger. The old Colt guys are gone, and the newer people look on the Colt as some 'mystery' gun that they can't fathom. This leads often leads to improperly timed guns, which won't stay timed. Leading to stories of Pythons being delicate.

Some years ago, I send an old model Trooper .38 to an internationally known 'smith company in St. Louis. They make every American Handgunner Top 100 Gunsmith list. They are warentee repair for every gun company and Colt experts.
Colt AUTO experts. To make a long story short, they totally botched the Trooper. To be fair they sent it to Colt who did the job right. The proplem was--not enough Colt revolver experience.

I recently saw two of Elvis's guns at one of the on-line gun magazines web sites. One M-19 S&W, and a blue Colt Python. He did indeed buy the best, and freely gave guns to friends.

[Edited by Dfariswheel on 05-13-2001 at 11:39 AM]

Does anyone have any idea on how many "units" this limited run will consist of. Also, being a a resident of the PRK, will the Python be submitted for testing?

TIA

7th Fleet,

If the Python's action problem is inherent with its design, can a gunsmith modify it so that it's a far more reliable gun? If so, what will it cost?

I have a Second Generation 586 that is about worthless. I would not risk my life with one in hand. I use it to hammer nails in broken boards around the farm. Damn nails get upset because I cheapen their dignity by using an inferior tool. Maybe I'll by another brand revolver for that sort of business. Anyway, the old style S&W revolvers, specifically the Model 27, was a superb machine. They were damn accurate, too! Why in God's name companies go and screw with a good thing is beyond me! If another company (I will not buy another S&W until they apologize for stabbing us in the back, and get out of that repulsive deal with the devil. Ditto squared for Bill Ruger. Why he had to voice his opinion about how many rounds I should be able to legally stuff in a magazine is incomprehensible!) copies that design, I'll buy one. Anyway, I sure as hell wouldn't mind a First Generation 6" Model 27.

I knew Elvis owned a Python. Good to know he cottoned to a Model 19, another cherished relic of an era when guns were guns and lyin' politicians despised.

God I miss Ronald Reagan, the best president this country's had in quite a spell; and John Wayne, a man's man.

But baby I'll be back again real soon, I promise...,
E

Elvis not to my knowledge, like I said the Pyhon is a duplicate of a very old design. It's faults and attributes as well are due to is design. I would buy the gun and enjoy shooting it but just be prepared to have it freshened up by a good Colt man periodically, especially if youplan on shooting many hot loads through it. I shoot mostly .38s in mine and most of those are wadcutters, because mine is supremely accurate with them and they are very easy on the gun.

I have a pre sell out 686 that I did an action job on and I love that gun, it's so sweet. I will still buy nice, clean used Smith revolvers, that way the traitors at S&W don't profit from my purchases. If you look at the 686/586, Smith & Wesson copied the Python, with the barrel underlug IMHO.

7th

Back