Colt Python Question

Bud1

My circa 1977 Python's cylinder release is a bit difficult to operate. It requires quite a bit of thumb pressure to release. I shot some CLP on it, but can't seem to ease it up any. Once the cylinder is open, I can move the release back a bit more easily if I push the assembly back at the point where it meets the closed cylinder, but it still seems stiff.

Has anyone else encountered this, or have any suggestions on how to address the problem?

Thanks,

Bud

I've never seen that particular problem with a Python.
Try this, however. Get a can of "Liquid Wrench", which is sold in the hardware department. Cock the piece after making sure it is unloaded and squirt some of this stuff into the action. Also, squirt some around the cylinder catch. This stuff is a penetrating oil of the first order. It should loosen everything up. Be advised, to wipe off any excess because it will kill primers if in comes in contact with chambered ammo. Good luck.

A Colt Python has a nylon insert on the back of the cylinder latch that will wear out and smash down over time. I just looked at mine and it is about shot. The nylon bushing keeps the latch parallel to the track that the latch moves back and forth in. If it is worn down,the latch will not work smoothly. Sounds like that might be your problem.

Hope this helps.

The reason why the nylon insert was added was sloppy workmanship. Earlier Colts didn't need it, but as tolerances slipped, the insert was added to prevent wearing as the clyinder release could otherwise drag along the sideplate.

The trackway in the sideplate for the cylinder release could be dirty (or something caught in the spring behind it). Alternatively, the locking bolt (a single unit which is comprised of two pieces), could be at fault. The pin, upon which the cylinder release works it, could be loose or damaged.

If you've got hollow ground screwdrivers, you can probably take a peek. Instructions on how to disassemble the Python are in the Smithy forum (do a search under my name). You may not have to go that far if you just check the cylinder release and sideplate.

Back