Colt python question

Mycroft

Inactive
I noticed that the Colt Python that I own has 2 different serial #(one on the frame and another on the cylinder) The local shooting range tells me that both #'s indicate that it was manufactured in 1979.The numbers are about 200 apart.All indications are that it came from the factory that way.Has anyone encountered this situation before?

A point of clarification,one number is on the frame the other is on the cylinder arm near(under) the ejector rod.

Last edited:
It cannot help the value for a serious collector, may not be important to someone who wants a “shooter grade” gun. I’d see it as a “Frankengun”.

Seriously, ask on the Python forum. Those folks know much more than I and may have seen this issue before.

It cannot help the value for a serious collector, may not be important to someone who wants a “shooter grade” gun. I’d see it as a “Frankengun”.

Seriously, ask on the Python forum. Those folks know much more than I and may have seen this issue before.
I tried to register on that site but for some reason I wasn't able to do so,the entry code they e-mailed me to enter for sign up was 31 characters long(tried it twice) but it didn't work. Thanks for the help.I will give the code one more shot

Both mine match.
I always say Colt is not real careful about such stuff, but a collector would be put off by the mismatch.

I obtained Certificates several years ago on two of my Colt firearms. The Certificates, I assume you would call it, are nice frameable documents with the basic details about the guns. I want to say they were $50.00 each or maybe it was $75.00.

It would be hard to justify spending a hundred to a hundred and fifty dollars on two certificates for each of your two serial numbers. On the other hand, it would be most interesting to see the outcome and where they were shipped. One would think Colt has the information available on all their manufactured serial number from the last fifty or so years.

I obtained Certificates several years ago on two of my Colt firearms. The Certificates, I assume you would call it, are nice frameable documents with the basic details about the guns. I want to say they were $50.00 each or maybe it was $75.00.

It would be hard to justify spending a hundred to a hundred and fifty dollars on two certificates for each of your two serial numbers. On the other hand, it would be most interesting to see the outcome and where they were shipped. One would think Colt has the information available on all their manufactured serial number from the last fifty or so years.
That was my thinking as well,Colt archives were less helpful than I hoped they would be.I may return to their website and see if I can learn more there.You bring up a good point about where they or it was originally shipped and when.

Mycoft,
Are you the original owner? If not, could the 2 different serial numbers be because the original owner had the Python repaired & either that person didn't know or didn't want anyone else to know?

I am not,I had considered that possibility, the local range/gun shop guy says that the gun shows no evidence of having been repaired.He says Colt's quality control was a bit suspect at that time and they were shipping guns out the door with whatever they had laying around.

Fast is fine but accuracy is everything...........In vino veritas

I don't recall Colt stamping serial numbers on any Python cylinders, and not at all in the late 1970's models if they ever did.

Of course I don't know everything about Colt Pythons so I recommend continuing to try to get on the Colt Forum for a more definitive answer.

If you continue to have problems email the mods.
Use the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum page.

I too looked on my cylinder & saw no numbers. This is very weird. Colt is not ez to contact. I am trying to get a left handed ITW holster for my NIB, soon to be delivered, 3" King Cobra in 357 magnum & they insist that they don't have one. Also they sent me to Midway & one other but they too had zip.

I'll have to check mine, but in all honesty I never ever really paid any attention to see if there was ever a serial number on the cylinder .

Back