Colt Pony

Bompa

I need a set of instructions and pictures of how to strip a Pony so I can put a lighter hammer spring in and maybe polish up the
hammer and sear surfaces a bit..
Is there a web site somewhere ??
Does someone have something that can be e-mailed ??
Thanks for any help guys...

I don't know of any on-line instructions, but fieldstripping the Pony should be very easy.

- Drop the mag, and clear the chamber. i.e. unload the beast. :)

- Pull the slide back until the notch in the slide lock aligns with the notch in the frame, and push the slide lock out to the left.

- Ease the slide off forward, controlling the spring tension.

- Remove the spring, rod, and barrel from the bottom of the slide.

Your right,,field stripping is easy..What I need is how to detail
strip the monster.. Want to replace the hammer spring and slick
up the hammer and sear..
Thanks for trying to help ...

Very tricky

....This gun is different, the hammer and shear surfaces are not there in a normal sense. There is a Draw bar which draws the hammer to a point and releases.. Hammer spring should not be altered.. Not much that would respond to your described method. That why SM&A charge so much.

More than likely if you put in a lighter spring, you are not going to get many types of ammo to fire. The hammer on the Pony is not exactly massive and does not get much chance to build up momentum before striking. If you lighten the spring, you will compromise the reliability, at least that is according to pistolsmith Alex Hamilton out of San Antonio when I asked him about mine.

Chances are that you guys are right about a lighter spring,I was just going by what was offered in the Wolff spring catalog..
As for ammo, I shoot mostly reloads with Win. primers and have not had any problems in other calibers..Of coarse I would test
what ever HP load I chose for carry altho there is some that think
a FMJ is best in 380...The best is that you never ever need to use
it in a defensive manner..
All said I guess I would still try the lighter spring,after all the original can be replaced if necessary...Just would like to do it myself...

I have the Wolff spring, all I need now is the directions on how
to put it in and the ability to do it..One gets a bit fumble fingured
in their old age.. There are not any gunsmiths in the area that I know of and don't want to send it anywhere..

Since you reload, if the lighter spring gives problems with reliability, I'd consider Federal primers, they're about the softest ones around.

Back