Colt Police Positive

Charlie Fox

I've been drooling....oops, I mean looking at one of these in a local dealers case for about a month. It seems to be the perfect size - about J-frame - but holds 6 rds and has a 4" bbl. The bluing is about gone. I'm wondering, using modern standard pressure 38 Specials, will this gun hold up? I have several non-+P 38 loads around, and this seems like an ideal carry piece. Thanks for the help!

The first pistol i ever owned back in the 60's was a 38 spec police positive 4" barrel.......i remember it as being sort of a small frame gun........what i remember would lead me to beleive that i'd load it with any 38 spec+P but not for a daily diet------i'd probably shoot 38 spec standard loads in it but when i put it under the pillow-- it would have the good stuff in it................Dick

It's going to depend on when it was made. From about 1970 or so, the steel D frame guns were Ok for 3000 rounds of +P ammo, and then needed to be sent in for an inspection.
Before that, +P was NOT recommended. A few in an earlier gun, PROBABLY wouldn't hurt, but.......

:)

Go ahead and get it. Don't pay more than $150, that's probably too much. (got mine for $125, no finish, GREAT shooter.) Mine was made in 1921, and runs perfectly. It has a 4" bbl., and I like to shot it at 100 yds. with 158 grn. SWC's. With open sights, on a good day, I can do 2/6 hits on soda cans with inexspensive reloads I get from a local commercial reloader. And the misses don't miss by much! I personally think the older ones are better built. I don't feed mine +p's, though. Gotta Service-Six for that.

My Bedroom Gun

A 4" Colt Police Positive loaded with 125 gr. +P Gold Dots.

Works fine for me with Tyler "T" grip and a speedloader. Only gun the wife and I can both handle "well". I have others, but for the bedroom, I wanted something we could both use. Besides, she can cover the door while I unlimber the Mossberg 500.

A steady diet of +P is not recomended, but safe for occasional use.

-LeadPumper

I'm being thick-headed again. 2 for 6 at 100 yds! Why can't you people read my mind so I don't make mistakes like that? What do I pay you for, anyway.?To heck with it. Take the rest of the week off, the lot of you. I gotta go shootin". ;) :D ;)

Back