Colt Police Positive

Salt

.32-20, four inch barrel, blued steel.

I am taking it home during my lunch break tomorrow. I am thinking that this would be a good piece for the women and boys in the family that would like something to shoot. I will get a lever-action or pump action rifle in the same chambering too sometime in the future.

The .32-20 is a new cartridge for me, should I use gas checks for making up some cast bullet handloads?

If you have a .32/20, you don't have a Police Positive. You have a Police Positive SPECIAL. The frame is a bit longer than the regular PP, which was chambered for such rounds as the .38 S&W. The Special form was also made in .38 Special.

The Official Police was, I think, also made in .32/20, but that's a bigger gun, on a .41 size frame.

Be sure that if you use older ammo, that you don't have a hotter round meant only for rifles.

I hear these are loud, but very effective on small game, snakes, etc. Cute little guns; I had one in .38 Special years ago.

Lone Star

Gas checks would'nt hurt but be careful in that particular gun when loading up to the higher velocities. Cast hard and kept under 1000 fps you should be all right with a plain base design.

I use bullets cast in Lyman mould number #3118, now known as #311008 in my Colt Army Special. This is not a gas check design, but you'll not need GC's for revolver ammunition. 1:20 or wheelweights are hard enough (~BHN 15) when used with the right lube to avoid leading problems (your revolver will "tell" you what it prefers). Don't use rifle data in loading this cartridge for a revolver.

The Current AA manual does list some revolver loads. AA 1680 looks attractive, but didn't produce ammunition that shoots well for me. It has worked in other handguns. I have had my best luck using Red Dot, 4756 or BP.

Sharing common ammunition in this chambering between a rifle & a revolver can be problematic when using smokeless powder. There are burn consistency problems in revolvers that magnum primers don't fully solve, nor does the use of slower powders. You may have to resign yourself to working up seperate loads for the rifle if you don't want to use BP.

Bob

Thanks for the information guys, I knew I would find out here.

On the powder charges, I would use BP in a single action revolver but it would not seem right in a double action revolver.
I think I will have to separate my rifle loads from my revolver loads by using diferent brand of brass for each so that I will not get the confused. Winchester .32wcf brass for the rifle, and whatever that other brand is for the revolver loads.

I have cast roundball for my muzzle-loading rifles. I am curious though about wheel weights, I have never used those as a source of lead. How does one get rid of those steel attachments when melting down the lead wheelweights? Do they rest at the top of the molten lead?

Too right about BP in a DA revolver - - -

- - Unless you're seeking some kind of special effects deal, BP is just a pain to clean up after.

The PP is a strong little gun--Handles +P .38 Special with no problems, so you can use some pretty brisk .32-20 loads if you wish. Just remember: It is NOT A MAGNUM. If you need a magnum, I'm sure you can swap the nifty little Colt for one, and proceed without worries. I have no personal experience with loading .32-20 for revolvers, but a friend has loaded up some very nice ammo using cast bullets and Unique powder.

The steel clips on wheel weights DO simply float to the top, along with all the crud and dirt. Easily done, and an economical source of lead. Please be sure of adequate ventilation!

Easiest way to separate rifle and revolver ammo is to use JSP bullets for the rifle loads. The rifle will also shoot the revo fodder quite well--neat for plinking cans or up-close small game.

Best,
Johnny

Regarding Johnny's comment on Colt DA revolver strength:

1. Post WWII revolvers are the strongest. Modern materials and heat treat are used. To the best of my knowledge, the 32-20 has not been chambered by Colt in this era.

2. Revolvers made between the mid 1920's and 1941 are stronger than those made prior to the mid 1920's. An improvement in heat treating was made; revolvers produced between 1923 & 1927 can be made from parts having either, or both, types of heat treat. Relatively few Colt DA 32-20 revolvers were made in this time frame.

3. Revolvers made prior to the mid 1920's are the weakest. The bulk of the 32-20 Colt DA revolvers I have seen date from this time frame. You'll be quite safe sticking to loads listed for revolver use as the data published in reputable manuals is developed with these handguns in mind.

Bob

Back