Colt Police Positive .38

If you're into old Colts, it looks nice. If you're looking for a "working" gun there's better choices.

Do check carefully to see if it's been reblued. If it has, the price should reflect that.

It might be the light, but the barrel looks like it's a different color than the frame. If it's that way in person, I'd question it.

As far as price, I think it's a fair price but as 44 Amp pointed out, I'd consider it a collector vs a working gun.

It might be the light, but the barrel looks like it's a different color than the frame. If it's that way in person, I'd question it.

I’m almost positive it’s the poor lighting, I was struggling to get a decent picture. Even so, I will look more closely at the finish when I see it in person again.

If you're looking for a "working" gun there's better choices.

If I do end up leaving with it, this won’t be a shooter. I’ll probably fire it once and just fondle it the rest of the time it’s with me.

Is it a 38 Special? If so, it is from about 1930.
Cool old revolver, from the pre war era.

It is indeed a .38 Special
Were all the Police Positives in .38 Special only made in the 30’s?

It's a pre-war Police Positive Special.
The Police Positive Special series was one of Colt's longest running 1907 - 1977? IIRC.
With those stocks, I'd bet the serial number will show manufacture between 1927 to the early 40's.

The lack of wear to the stocks and all of the blueing on the ejector rod show that the gun
has not been handled or shot much at all.
Screws do not show use, so maybe no one has been under the hood before.

I think it's a good buy if lock up is proper.

JT

$440 is easy enough to justify once you pick one up and hold it...

I'm not a fan of Colt (modern) revolvers - not in the least (I'm a S&W die hard).

The Police Positive is the exception though. S&W has nothing that feels like that. They are just sweet guns.

I'd pay $440 - or even more - for one in the condition that one appears to be in. Only because they aren't made anymore - which means that each and every one is going to be unique.

Looks good to me as well...I'd add a Pachmyr or Redfield grip adapter to it for a better, more hand filling shooting grip. Either way, I'd stay away from +P loads. Best Regards, Rod

The "half moon" front sight markes it as the First series,

It will handle standard loads. I favor old Hornady 140GR XTP but may switch to Hornady 125gr XTP. I think Fiocchi loads a 140gr HP, not sure?

The slanted ramp front sight is from the 50 to final production.

Suggest you locate a "TYLER" grip adapter to close the high space of the frame /grip area, to lower you hand as you grip it. Then your fingers will minimized being struck from recoil.

I took a 3/16' diameter Al rod and slit in length-wise and "JB-welded" it to front sght to SEE it!

It looks nice and I certainly wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers. I passed on 2 of them a couple of years ago - an early one and a late one - kicked myself ever since as they were both in the $350 range.

The Police Positive was a smaller frame that wouldn't take the .38 Special.

They were chambered in .32 Short/Long Colt, .32 New Police (.32 S&W Long), the .38 New Police (.38 S&W), and some very early ones may have been chambered in .38 Short Colt.

The Police Positive Special was an enlarged frame that could accommodate the .38 Special and .32-20.

There were also .22 caliber target versions of both.

I think it's a good buy if lock up is proper.
The lock up was rock solid. Went back to the store today to confirm and I ended up buying it for $420+tax ($462 out the door). I'm very happy with it.

Looks good to me as well...I'd stay away from +P loads. Best Regards, Rod

No plans to run +P through it but the reaffirmation is appreciated.

The "half moon" front sight markes it as the First series,
It will handle standard loads...The slanted ramp front sight is from the 50 to final production.

Great info I otherwise would not have known. Thanks

That looks nicer than mine. I think mine is a little older. Is yours a .38 Special or .38 S&W?

It's a .38 Special

The Police Positive was a smaller frame that wouldn't take the .38 Special...The Police Positive Special was an enlarged frame that could accommodate the .38 Special and .32-20.

This is marked "Police Positive .38 Special" on the barrel and for my hands its already quite small of a frame. I can only imagine how the regular Police Positive's feel.

Last edited:
I have a Police Positive Special in .32-20. It's quite a bit smaller than my S&W M&P .32-20, which was made around the same time.

I have a .32 Police Positive, and it is freaking tiny.

They also chambered the Police Positive Special and other D frame guns for .32 Colt Police Positive/New Police i.e. .32 S&W Long and for .38 Colt Police Positive/New Police = .38 S&W. The cylinder was longer than necessary but it simplified their operations after the original Police Positive was dropped.

Here's my Police Positive in .32 Colt New Police (.32 S&W Long), along with a holster I made for it. Nice gun, very accurate with cast LSWC's of 100 grains. As Mike pointed out, it's small but with the grip adapter it does nicely in my size (L) hands. I did some work on the front sight to get it to my point of aim/grip technique, & it's now putting a cylinder full into an inch at 10 yds, from a Weaver Stance. This one dates to 1939 by serial number...

That short cylinder helps with accuracy I think as the bullet has less of a jump to reach the forcing cone. The .38 S&W (Colt .38 New Police), shares that short cylinder and it too, is no slouch for accuracy. That's it in the 2nd pic and its serial number dates to 1920.

Good luck to the OP, that Special is a nice gun and well worth working up good loads. Best Regards, Rod

Colt Police Positive in .32 Colt New Police (.32 S&W Long)

Colt Police Positive in .38 Colt New Police (.38 S&W)

Last edited:
Back