Colt police positive .32 magnum?

9ballbilly

I recently came across a police positive that had been re-chambered for .32 magnum. Being a fan of both old DA Colts and the .32 mag round I have some interest in this gun, however I'm concerned about pressure issues with it. The .32 S&W is rated at 15,000 and the .32 H&R mag. at 21,000. Anyone have an idea if that much pressure is safe in an old D frame?
Thanks

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

When I overload a revolver, here is what I look for:
1) Cases stuck and will not eject.
2) Primer pierces
3) Forcing cone blows out
4) Cylinder splits into pieces that go flying at deadly velocities and put hole in the walls.
5) Cylinder splits into pieces and top strap bend or breaks.
6) Cylinder no longer locks up tight with chamber aligned with bore.
7) Cylinder is loose and will slide forward and back. [end shake]
8) Frame bends

I have caused them all, except endshake. I may have caused that one too and not noticed.

I have not experimented on D frame Colt DA 32s, only the smaller 1915 size framed Police Positive revolvers chambered for 32 S&W Long and labeled 32 Colt New Police.
I do have a 1960 32 Colt New police in the bigger Police Positive frame, but I have never shot it. It is built like a tank.

The Colt Police Positives in 32 lock up tight and that is that.
The inside diameter of the chambers is small, so the hoop stress is small, but I have still blown up the cylinder of a Colt 32 or two, but not in and incremental work up.
The real weak spot in the old Colt 32s is the forcing cone. It is thin. It blows out easy. I think I have blown it out on 3 and welded up 3. I weld them up to be beefier. Then in the old 1909 have chronographed over 1400 fps with 85 gr bullet and LIL'GUN. I can't hit anything. The recoil is way too much for such a small revolver. I have come up with a way of doing a rifle factory crimp on the 32 S&W long by putting it upside down in a 308 factory crimp die. Otherwise, the heavy recoil pulls the bullets out.

UpsidedownLeefactorycrimp1-7-2012cripnocrimpprinttext.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cutting 11 degree forcing cone with .332 in oriface to match .314 in cylinder throat Colt Police.jpg
    Cutting 11 degree forcing cone with .332 in oriface to match .314 in cylinder throat Colt Police.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 12
Back