Colt Pocket Positive

kh1911

I just bought a Colt Pocket positive .32 revolver and I want to change the grips however when I look them up the only ones I find are small round butt grips. My revolver seems to have a square butt. Does anyone know if regular police positive grips will fit? Or where I can find the proper ones?

Last edited:
There were several D frames so even a police positive of different vintage may not have compatible grips.

+1 on gungrip.com. When I got my 50's vintage Police Positive Special, I wanted to keep the wood grips pristine and ordered a set of repo's from them. Now, you'd think grips for a PPS would be sharp square butt like on their template, but my frame has more rounded base. It turned out the grips for a Detective Special were an exact fit. Imagine that.
My point and suggestion is to go on their web site and print some templates to find the exact match. They will print out scale size. Just match up the one you need.
And the quality of their grips is very good. Mine were sharp and detailed from the molds used.

I need to check them out and order a set for my Colt Police Positive .32. The one grip original grip has a big chunk out of it.

I just bought a Colt Pocket positive .32 revolver and I want to change the grips however when I look them up the only ones I find are small round butt grips. My revolver seems to have a square butt. Does anyone know if regular police positive grips will fit? Or where I can find the proper ones?

Are you sure you have your revolver / grips correctly identified .
The link in post #2 , shows the correct grips for a Colt Pocket Positive ...
do they look like your's ...if they don't , perhaps posting a photo of what you have will help get the correct I.D.
Possibly what you think is a "square" butt ... isn't .
Gary

Yep, surprised me when I wanted to get repo's for range use. I shoot my gem all the time with reloads (my reloadable .22, but in 32 NCP/S&W Long). OC Ordnance makes some fine grips via the gungrip.com site.
Print out their templates and match. You'd be surprised on what will fit, since Colt used several "in-between" frames on models. My PPS is on the DS frame and if I ever decide to have my 4" barrel replaced with a 2", it would be a DT. Colt did some confusing stuff back when, but quality and fit were always on par.
Check it out. Worth the paper and ink. Best part, it prints to actual scale.
Maybe join the coltforum.com site. They are very nice and helpful.

Hey Mike I,
Yes check them out. Very high quality and more modern plastic moldings. Best yet, screw inserts are installed and usually the norm. I'm very happy with mine and the width and contours are exact to my OEM grips.
Let's post some pics.
The 32 is coming back.

Could you perhaps post a picture of your Pocket Positive? Every example that I've ever seen or handled, including my own personal specimen, has had a rounded butt. I'm curious as to the exact configuration of yours including barrel length and caliber (.32 Long Colt or .32 Police a.k.a. .32 S&W Long). My own example has a 3 1/2" barrel and is chambered for .32 S&W Long (says .32 Police Ctg. on the barrel).

As an aside, I'm glad to see some nice reproduction grips available as mine has the original gutta percha grips which, in addition to being brittle from nearly 100 years of age, have a small chip out of one. A modern set of reproductions will be nice so that I can set the originals aside and preserve them.

My pocket Positive is in 32 Colt. I assumed when I bought it it was the same as the s&w 32'short'. Not so. The 32 'short' colt is a heeled bullet design - I have yet to find a single round of ammunition.

Thanks for the link. The minimum order is apparently 50 pieces at $3.80 each. Although I have found a hundred heeled bullets, I just don't want to spend more on a box of ammo than I paid for the gun. It is a nice petite revolver that I would love to shoot.

You don't absolutely need heeled bullets.

In the 1890s ammunition manufacturer's began getting away from the heeled bullet design.

That affected rounds like the .32 Colts, the .41 Long and Short Colt, and others.

What the makers did was design a bullet with a deep hollow in the base, giving the bullet a thin "skirt."

On firing, that skirt would expand to take the rifling and seal the bore.

Overall, moderately successful, but it didn't really give great accuracy.

Finally, around 1920 Colt reworked their guns to bring the bore diameter down to better accept the modern style bullets.

Back