Colt Peacemaker .22

kodiakbeer

I bought this SA from an old trapper a few years ago. It was his trapline pistol for many, many years and the exterior was basically in the white and heavily pitted - destroyed. The bore is perfect and the action is tight.

The exterior was so bad, I didn't worry about collector value and broke it down and refinished it with one of the spray and bake vinyl coatings (Bear-Kote). It's still not pretty, but it's a nice functional piece. I use it all time for tin cans and occasionally bunny hunting.

I suspect this is a variant of the Colt "frontier" .22's from 60's or 70's, but I don't really know. I know it has no great value in the condition it's in, but I'd like to know what it is and when it was made.

It has a smaller frame than a standard Colt SAA. The barrel is marked on the left side "Peacemaker .22". Serial number G1437XX As you can see in the picture it's got the standard rampant Colt and patent dates on the left side below the cylinder.

What it is, eggzackly? And when was it made?

Edited to add: Barrel is 6"

Peacemaker.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Perfect! 1975.

This is one of my favorite handguns. I don't know why... I like to practice quick-draw and shoot from the hip, etc, when out plinking. I suck at it, but can't resist the temptation. It's a darned nice shooter and right on the money when you actually sink that front sight in the groove and squeeze one off.

Back